Best Goat State?

H

huntinhard

What is the best state to hunt antelope for...

1. Biggest Animal...

2. Best draw oods..

3. Best chance of seeing and tagging one...

answers to your questions;
1) AZ and NM

2) better chances to get a tag in NM sinve they have landowner tags.

3) chances of seeing antelope are 100%. chances of killing one depends on your hunting style and commitment.

I agree that biggest/best is AZ or NM, but getting drawn in AZ is like a snowball surviving in the summer AZ sun. NM has landowner tags if 1000-1500 is in your budget for a good chunk of land. I think WY. is a good state because you can almost be guaranteed a tag, there are alot of goats and its not expensive to self guide. It really depends on what you are looking for. I was pleased with a 72" buck two years ago on public land there......I am not real good at field scoring but a 15" goat made me real happy. I would look a bit into Wy if I were you....... Allen Taylor......

I agree with many of the above posts. I recently talked to a booking agent that said that TX was producing some monster antelope. I bet he was right, many guys overlook TX. I think NM would be even better if some of the young bucks were left alone for a few years. I'll admit a 75-79" goat looks real good, BUT just think what he would look like in 1-2 years. my two cents.
Joshua

Prettier: the one I am talking about (LOL) is white and made of something really cold, but I am still trying to glass one up...... Allen Taylor......

Ever check out Eastern Montana's 700 District with 13,000 tags and lots of country to hunt(300x300 miles)! Or area 651 lots of high 70's and quite a few 80+ class bucks. Look at my ad Land Access In Montana.

W

1)arizona/new mexico no doubt for biggest
2)best draw odds? wyoming probably, another state that noone metioned yet is colorado we are on a preference point system and have some excellent antelope. At least you know your going to draw in 6-8 years for the better areas. That makes it easy for the non resident hunters to send in and gather points for a few years and figure out where they want to hunt.
3)where you get a tag would be best the best spot Gary

I'd opt for eastern Montana,Sure AZ,NM,NV,OR, put out whoppers but you will probably need a motorized wheelchair by the time you draw a tag! I have taken four Antelope in the 700 units including a real nice 16"er and It is fairly easy to draw a tag.------(HunterHarry)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom