Nonresident antelope hunt ?

Hi i am wanting to go on antelope rifle hunt. Never hunted antelope before. Which state would i have the best chance on public land ? Can u buy a over the counter antelope tag? I am putting a new rifle together to take. A new Browning Xbolt Hells Canyon Speed LR 280 ackley improved. Going to top it with a Leupold or Huskemaw scope. And shoot a 162 gr or heavier. Thanks

Hi i am wanting to go on antelope rifle hunt. Never hunted antelope before. Which state would i have the best chance on public land ? Can u buy a over the counter antelope tag? I am putting a new rifle together to take. A new Browning Xbolt Hells Canyon Speed LR 280 ackley improved. Going to top it with a Leupold or Huskemaw scope. And shoot a 162 gr or heavier. Thanks
Pretty much every person on this forum would love to hunt an antelope on public land, and with limited tags everywhere, your question might fall on lots of dead ears.
I don't know any state that has over the counter antelope permits and most states take several years to draw in a unit with enough public land to make it worth your time. You could easily have to apply and gain bonus points for multiple years before your new rifle could be focused in on an antelope. I'd recommend you do some serious research before you get high hopes.

Guided hunts with OTC tags can be had in NM. They are $2500-5000. That’s the answer most people are looking for if they want to get in on a hunt this coming year. Having 3-10 points in all the states that have antelope and points is a good idea if you plan to do it in the future. MT and WY have ample public land and tags take 3-5 years for most public land units if you are wanting DIY

Good advice listed above. Wyoming is a great option & they hand out a good number of tags. It might take you a few years to draw though. My only caution with Wyoming like ANY public land hunting, there will be plenty of other hunters out there. Be patient & you will get your opportunity. I have never seen the number of antelope in any other state like I have witnessed in WY.
Good luck!!!

Lol, Wyoming USED to be a great option is more like it ! Not much left and it’ll take a few good years to change things for the better. North west South Dakota is a far cry from what it used to be also. I have no clue what things look like down New Mexico way, but that’s where I’d definitely start looking for hunts.

Lol, Wyoming USED to be a great option is more like it ! Not much left and it’ll take a few good years to change things for the better. North west South Dakota is a far cry from what it used to be also. I have no clue what things look like down New Mexico way, but that’s where I’d definitely start looking for hunts.
I went the NM landowner voucher route a few years ago & had a great hunt. I never scored him, but he’s my best to date.
IMG_5304.jpeg

There's alot of people wanting to hunt antelope and after the winter of 22-23 there's alot less antelope in some of the better areas..so if I were you bobcat I'd be doing a bunch of research

There's alot of people wanting to hunt antelope and after the winter of 22-23 there's alot less antelope in some of the better areas..so if I were you bobcat I'd be doing a bunch of research
How did your antelope handle last winter duster? You guys weren’t far off from the bullseye.

If i dont get drawn. Do i need to purchase points? To help get drawn? This is all new too me. I am used to paying 35.00 . I get 6 deer tags. 2 bucks 4 doe tags. 2 turkey tags. 1 bear tag. Thats small game hunting. I can bow hunt. And muzzle loader hunt too. U get to trap free. Just have to get the free tag. Plus thats fishing license to. All for 35.00. And it cost me extra 5.00 for application fee. In the drawing for a elk tag. If your name is drawn for elk tag. All it cost u for the elk tag. Was that 5.00 application fee. U can kill unlimited hogs 24/7 365.

Well from that look, scoring him would put him easily in "the book". Great antelope.
I'm curious how much a landowner voucher runs?
Thank you.
I honestly don’t remember the exact price. It was either $1600 or $1800. I do remember him saying that he was going to raise the price the following year.

Nice antelope. If i dont get drawn. I may buy a Nonresident license in Mississippi. U get a handful of deer tags there.
Definitely and the state has a ton of deer. The northern part of the state has had some CWD the past few years, but it isn’t substantial.

Very nice buck, definitely a hunt I’d like to try in the future ! I think that’s about the best way to go about antelope currently anywhere…….
Thank you.
I went that route simply because it’s so freakin’ difficult to draw a tag. It was definitely worth the $$$ in my opinion.

Pretty much every person on this forum would love to hunt an antelope on public land, and with limited tags everywhere, your question might fall on lots of dead ears.
I don't know any state that has over the counter antelope permits and most states take several years to draw in a unit with enough public land to make it worth your time. You could easily have to apply and gain bonus points for multiple years before your new rifle could be focused in on an antelope. I'd recommend you do some serious research before you get high hopes.
Focus on New Mexico private land hunts- especially South Central NM- there are lots of antelope there & some Great bucks every year- but it’s $$$$ costly as compared to Wy., Colorado, Montana. Trust me- I’ve hunted them all over last 40 plus years . Go with NM.
Best Guides are Eli Grimmett Tony Grimmett -of Pronghorn Guide Service out of Phoenix area. They hunt most every great area in all the States, especially N M. Google them up. Tell them I sent you ! You can’t go wrong! They are true pros.
Jerry Gold
Windsor, Colorado 🍀😁

If i dont get drawn. Do i need to purchase points? To help get drawn? This is all new too me. I am used to paying 35.00 . I get 6 deer tags. 2 bucks 4 doe tags. 2 turkey tags. 1 bear tag. Thats small game hunting. I can bow hunt. And muzzle loader hunt too. U get to trap free. Just have to get the free tag. Plus thats fishing license to. All for 35.00. And it cost me extra 5.00 for application fee. In the drawing for an elk tag. If your name is drawn for elk tag. All it cost u for the elk tag. Was that 5.00 application fee. U can kill unlimited hogs 24/7 365.
That sounds awesome. Here I am trying to figure out the endless train of guys driving NW from south of the Mason Dixon every fall if they’ve got that at home 🤷🏻‍♂️

You’ll love antelope hunting ! Tons of fun & you can hunt all day long too ! Always Antelope to see most all the time also. Very fun interesting hunting. First time I hunted them in ‘78, I was totally hooked. My favorite hunt by miles !
Enjoy 😊 the fun & the ride Hunting!
Jerry Gold
Windsor, Colorado 🍀😁

You’ll love antelope hunting ! Tons of fun & you can hunt all day long too ! Always Antelope to see most all the time also. Very fun interesting hunting. First time I hunted them in ‘78, I was totally hooked. My favorite hunt by miles !
Enjoy 😊 the fun & the ride Hunting!
Jerry Gold
Windsor, Colorado 🍀😁
I agree totally. Turkey hunting is my passion, but pronghorn are by far my favorite western big game animal to hunt.

I know its not out west. U should come south whitetail hunting. We can kill 6 deer. 2 bucks 4 doe's. And if u bow or crossbow hunt. U can do the urban hunt. Small towns out in the county. Some small towns have the urban hunts. There either sex unlimited deer tags. And the urban deer tags dont count for your 6 statewide tags. Urban runs from September 1st thru February 28th. Our regular bow season is September 26th thru February 28th. Bear season comes in with regular bow season. I started looking around online at NM. We have elk here. But they only give out a few tags.

I know its not out west. U should come south whitetail hunting. We can kill 6 deer. 2 bucks 4 doe's. And if u bow or crossbow hunt. U can do the urban hunt. Small towns out in the county. Some small towns have the urban hunts. There either sex unlimited deer tags. And the urban deer tags dont count for your 6 statewide tags. Urban runs from September 1st thru February 28th. Our regular bow season is September 26th thru February 28th. Bear season comes in with regular bow season. I started looking around online at NM. We have elk here. But they only give out a few tags.
I’m originally from MS. I go back home 2 times per year for turkey & whitetail. I love hunting whitetail, but I just don’t have the necessary time to hunt them like I used to.

That sounds awesome. Here I am trying to figure out the endless train of guys driving NW from south of the Mason Dixon every fall if they’ve got that at home 🤷🏻‍♂️
We dont have antelope. I just like watching them. Only mule deer i seen was in western KS. I used to go stay with my uncle before he passed away. We bird hunted all week. I also done some coyote hunting.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom