Best headlamps

deadibob

Long Time Member
Okay it's time for me to upgrade my headlamps and I'm wondering what you guys are using and what you like/don't like about them and what you would recommend. I have a few Fenix flashlights and I really like those but I'm not going to pay $200 for a headlamp that weighs nearly a pound (I bet it's bright though). I wouldn't be opposed to paying up to $100 though if it is that much better than lower price point lights. There's always products that exceed their price point and those are always preferred.

One thing that is a make or break deal for me is that it must accept batteries. If I'm in the backcountry for several days I would rather have a few extra batteries than a recharger. A rechargeable light that also takes batteries would be great.

I like the Petzl head lamps, carry a couple extra batteries if you’re going to be out a few days, and you’re good to go. Compact, amazing light, and light weight. Recharge the batteries when you get home, or Carr a small battery pack and charge them on the trip.

Another vote for Diamondback, get the rechargeable pack that also takes 3 AAA if your away from the truck and it dies. I put three AAA on the strap with some black tape, because I will not have any batteries when I need them if I don’t. I do have a petzel from 2007/8 that is still ticking. How I have not lost it yet is amazing. Make sure it has red light capability, most mid range ones do now.

Costco used to carry a three pack of headlamps for around $16.
They came with a set of batteries. I believe they were put out by Duracell......the battery people.
I have not been able to find them for about 3 months though.
While on the subject of light......Same place and brand.....led flashlights......pretty nice for the price I think.

I've used several different cheapos over the years. Some are OK. Some are junk. I make do. But one thing about some that I hate is they easily flip down. Can't remember which ones do that, but season opens Saturday so I guess I'll find out then.

I really like and carry 2 of these in my pack. Great run time. Three brightness settings. Can use AAA batteries if needed. Rechargeable from truck, small solar panel, battery pack, wall socket, etc.
IMG_0727.jpeg

IMG_0728.jpeg

Black Diamond for me. I like that is dimmable so you can dictate just how many hours I'll get out of it. I always keep 3 AAA batteries in my pack.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom