Best Hunting rigs

MrRogers

So I posted on the “biggest bull thread” and showed a picture of my little hunting rig. It makes mediocre bulls look huge. Got a few questions and felt I was terrorizing the thread. So I figured many of us have odd or modified hunting rigs so why not. Here is my rig. Laugh all you want. I love it. 4wd lockers low range. Ac/heater. Imported from Japan. “ very concerned about wiring $ over seas” and a few months later…drove to Galveston and picked it up. Then the mods.

IMG_5020.jpeg

IMG_4576.jpeg

IMG_4588.jpeg

IMG_4664.jpeg

IMG_4684.jpeg

Cool rig, I thought about purchasing one until I was the first on scene when a guy wrecked one going 30 mph. 😬

Well I don't have a grasshopper but an old friend did and tried selling it to me. Fun little hunting rig to drive around but for me there was one true overlaying issue. Getting in and out.

Screenshot_20240404-220040~2.png

Those look cool and have thought about one.
How is the ride sitting on top of the front axle?
Something similar would be a Suzuki Samurai.
I had one years ago and just couldnt stop modifying.
It would go anywhere. I wish i wouldnt have modified so much.
One of the reasons I like Samurai is they are street legal.

The ride is a little choppy but not terrible. They’re heavy in the front and real light in the back so in 2wd they’ll get stuck on an ant hill. My brother had one and hated it because he is 6-1, I didn’t mind but I’m only 5’-7”.
They’re a trip to drive, with the gear shifter on the left and the blinker on the right, everything was bass ackwards!

Memory serves, the one I'm in has a 650cc Suzuki motor. Pretty decent power on the lower end and would hit 45 mph. Maybe 50.

The ride is not bad with the low pressure, (I only run 8-10 psi) oversized tires and aftermarket coil springs. Also helped a bunch with traction. Hard getting used to sitting over the front tires with no front end. A little scary going down super steep ravines as you feel as if your going to face plant but basically a mid engine vehicle so it’s surprisingly stable. Will go anywhere my friends ranger will and then some IMO. We played tag along on some of the roughest trails here in southern NM to see if he could get me stuck with no success. Gets great traction with meat in the bed. I love how quiet it is. My other hunting truck is quiet too and more comfortable. Gen 3
IMG_9373.jpeg

So I posted on the “biggest bull thread” and showed a picture of my little hunting rig. It makes mediocre bulls look huge. Got a few questions and felt I was terrorizing the thread. So I figured many of us have odd or modified hunting rigs so why not. Here is my rig. Laugh all you want. I love it. 4wd lockers low range. Ac/heater. Imported from Japan. “ very concerned about wiring $ over seas” and a few months later…drove to Galveston and picked it up. Then the mods.

View attachment 141706

View attachment 141707

View attachment 141708

View attachment 141709

View attachment 141710
Nice! Glad to see someone else doing this. I’ve got both a Jimny and a Hijet on the way, not sure how practical they will be but should be fun to play with. Is that a Suzuki carry? Thumbs up on paint, wheels and tires.

Yes that is a carry. All I did was a lift, New coil springs and 1” diff drop, then the 14” wheels (were 13”) and 25” maxis tires. Ordered hummer paint. A slight fender trim. Thanks! I want to do the carry van next but they don’t seem to have low range just 4H and I have concerns about being top heavy. Can’t wait to see the jimny and hijet. My wife dislikes SxS’s so this was a good compromise. I think she froze her but off on a “ladies” cow hunt. I was warm in camp with the “boys” and kids. Being camp cook and the pack mule can be good!

View attachment 141706

View attachment 141707

View attachment 141708

View attachment 141709

View attachment 141710
Pretty sweet little rig. Probably wouldn’t work for me as I’m 6’4” but out of curiosity what do they cost ?

Pretty sweet little rig. Probably wouldn’t work for me as I’m 6’4” but out of curiosity what do they cost ?
They were cheaper when I got mine but you can still land one at a port in the states for less than 5k. I think I got mine here for just under 3k. No. at 6’4” you would be very uncomfortable! I’m 5’11” and prefer my wife drives. More room to try to stretch out. But I fit. Wouldn’t enjoy a 4 hour road trip. 😛 Any type of road hunting would be out as well. To get deep into some nasty country and for retrieval it is perfect. The Jimny would offer more cab space but no bed.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom