Best Limited Entry Unit

M

Mounts02

Hi.Just seeing what you guys thought would be the best LE unit in Utah for any weapon in 2009 for Elk?Without worrying about how many points to draw.Thanks for your thoughts

Dutton
San Juan
S W Desert
Boulder/Beaver
Pahvant

All rifle. I know my list is a little different, but that is just how I see it? I put Dutton first because of the lack of roads, crowds/sightseers and ATV's. Rugged country also lets the bulls really age. I would not turn up my nose at SJ though! I think every unit I listed would give you a chance at that magical 400 even though it would be hard no matter what. 400 is very very hard in any area and a little luck never hurts. JMO

Oh come on now Legacy, you know as well as I do that the best place to kill a big bull is at the Hogle zoo. Honestly, any of the units have the potential for a real eye-poppin whopper
Lambo

Look at moss. His best are the San Juan and the Pahvant. I don't know where the heck ktc gets his jacked up list from? C'mon ktc. your not even in left field anymore. you've been a benchwarmer too long. haha

I think if you did your homework most units in the state have big bulls. It all depends on the type of hunt you want.

Manti!!

I am with you. Nothing like spending the day hunting and then going home and sleeping in your own bed each night. haha

The absolute best one is the one "you have tag for!" ;-)

scores are great to measure the antlers by but are $*!t for measuring the memories.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

I put Dutton because you need a horse or better yet, a mule. I also think it is the one you have a tag for. They all can produce the best and biggest on any given year. Just draw a line in the center of the state east to west and go south of that line.

So there you have it from the Water Boy, soon to be Equipment Boy.

I have considered this qustion many times and have yet to have a real good list. As has been mentioned before, the unit you have a tag for is the best one... That said, how many of the units have been personally scouted for big bulls? I personally was raised in the shadow of the Pahvant and spent many years hunting deer on the unit before it had the big bull reputation. In the past 10 years I have spent maybe 10 days total on the unit and have seen some bruiser bulls. As for the other top units, I have seen big bulls on Manti and spent 3 LE hunts with friends on Dutton and killed 3 bulls that scored north of 330. All really nice bulls.

I have not been to San Juan, Cache North, Monroe, etc... So I am not qualified to opine... I agree with KTC, any unit south have the center of Utah has the potential to grow the monsters.

All who wander are not lost.

Thanks to everyone for the information.I guess it is worth waiting another 5 or 6 years to draw the SJ unit.That is the unit I have been trying to draw.Good luck to all on your up and coming hunts.

M02

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom