Best Long Range .30 Caliber Deer Bullet

bragabit

I would like all of your opinions on which is the best .30 caliber between 150 and 180 grain bullet to be used on deer. I just had a custom rifle made in 300 REM Ultra mag. 27 inch Krieger Barrel with 1 in 11 twist. I am ready to start handloading just looking for a spot to start. My choices so far:

Swift Scirrocco 165 grain
Berger VLD 168 or 175 Grain
Sierra Gameking 165 grain
Winchester cp3 150 grain

If you've got a RUM, I'd stick with 180 or even 200 grain bullets, especially for long range (Over 400 yards). The knock down power is better at long range, the wind drift is less, speed isn't that much lower. Higher ballistic coefficients = better accuracy.

I think the Sierra MatchKings in 220 would be REALLY Good.

I have a 30-378 and shoot 180 grain Accubonds with Retumbo powder (~111 grains). Mine shoots 3410 fps with a 26" barrel.
My guess is your 27" RUM will shoot very close to that.

I really like Retumbo and I think your RUM would shoot well with it. Look on Hodgdon's website for starting loads with Retumbo and RUMs. I'm sure there's a lot of people on here with RUMs and will have more specific answers.

Hope that helps.

Is there any place to buy quantities of less than 100 of some of these bullets. I hate to buy 100 and shoot 20 and not have them group and be left holding 80. Would anyone be interested in a place to buy a variety of bullets in increaments of 10. Thinking business opportunity!

180's are mentioned time and again.

I only have the 300 wsm, but if I had the rum I would shoot the 180's.

Look over the posts in this section in the past, and there is a ton of information on this topic.

Most of the best bullets come in 50 quanity. New stuff from Barnes I think even comes in 20 packs.

If you look over the info. you will find that there is really just a few premium bullets that are usually picked after going through all the others. Accubonds, TSX, partition are popular for sure. There are several others, read up on it and see.

Anyone load a 168 tripl shock with retumbo in the 300 RUM. I am looking for info on this load. Have heard it does great but I need to know where to start with it.

200gr accubonds and either 190 or 210gr bergers if your looking for a long range bullet, the have the very high B.C. numbers

there is a place called bulletsamples.com that sells bullets in smaller quantities to try.check 'em out. ce61

>200gr accubonds and either 190 or
>210gr bergers if your looking
>for a long range bullet,
>the have the very high
>B.C. numbers

Couldn't have said it better. Or Sierra Match Kings 200, 220, or even 240 grain bullets. Heavier is better for long range.

30-378 wbymagnum puts them on the ground and suprizingly does not kicks that bad. but shell are about 120$ a box so the most economical 30 cal is probly the 308 or a 300 the 300 is going to have the knock down. i like the winchester sivlertip ballistic tip bullets they ae great.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom