Best Map APP

I have been looking at the different map Apps available lately. The 3 that seem to get the most air time is ONXMAPS. BASEMAP and HUNTSTAND. I used the older HuntGPS chip in a Garmin GPS about 10 years ago and it seemed pretty good. I guess they are ONXMAPS now. Any fellow hunters have a preference based on your experience.

I’ve got onX and basemap, think I like onX better plus everyone I know uses onX so it’s easier so we can share way points

I used Basemap last year, and have used ONX for a multiple years before this. I also like the way ONX works more and already got the elite for ONX this year, and will delete the Basemap app.

I use Gaia. I don't know what OnX has in comparison, but Gaia is pretty remarkable. They have dozens of map types, most can be combined into a single map. I often use the hunt unit boundaries with land ownership with one of the topo versions which work best for the area of concern. Of course, you can download any maps you want to your device so connectivity is never an issue. I also spend a lot of time marking water, certain roads, other hunting points of interest on my computer- and those marks are fully available on my phone in the field. Lastly, the coup de grace, was the integration of Gaia with Carplay. In units I hunt, I spend 30% of my time getting places in the truck, and 70% hiking/hunting the hills. Having that map heads up on my truck display is AWESOME.

I like onx. But the only downside ive seen to any android app is none have the feature you find on a typical garmin gps. "Sight and go" you point in the direction you want and type in the rangefinder distance and it can walk you to your downed animal, or help you stalk that bedded buck. As far as i know no app has this. So i carry my phone, my in reach and my garmin 62s.

onX, for the same reasons of being able to share and receive waypoints from friends.

Depending on your needs, onX is pretty cheap for a single state. If you hunt multiple, then the cost shouldn't be that big of a deal...

I've been running Gaia forever and had some awesome features and they are always adding new cool maps. They have all the hunt units you can layer on for the different states, they have historical burn maps, cell service maps, in additional to all the traditional stuff.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom