best mud tire

desertpointbrian

Very Active Member
i am looking for some new tires on my dodge 2500.i was wondering if anyone reccomends any particular brand.i am looking for a tire that will last at the least 35,000 miles. but also do well in the snow and mud.right now i run a 35" pro comp all terrain extreme. and i have gotten 45,000 miles out of them no complaints other than i would like a more agressive tire.

BFG km2. Great mud/snow. Handles heavy loads. I don't run anything else after running them on my work truck.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

>BFG km2. Great mud/snow. Handles heavy
>loads. I don't run anything
>else after running them on
>my work truck.
>
>
4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

thanks justr have you gone through a full set yet? if so how long did they last

I have heard good things about the Toyo MT,
That is really what Justr has on his ride.

I'll tell you who it was . . . it was that D@MN Sasquatch!

I am on my second set of km2's I really like them got 32k on the first set.....second set isn't looking as promising. Mine are 265/75/16 E's

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

I'm just about at the end of a set of Michelin ATX's. These have been the very best tires I've ever had, and I say that having run Good Year, Bridgestone, Firestones, Toyo, Big O, Cooper, BF Goodrich and I'm sure I few other brands I can't think of at the moment.

These Michelins gave me about 3/4 mile better gas mileage, and I'm changing them out in a couple weeks....after running them for 105,000 miles! They were worth every penny I paid for them, and a whole lot more.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-20-11 AT 08:13PM (MST)[p]I do have toyos on my truck, bought them before I ran the km2. The toyo mt is my 2nd choice.

I'm in the bookcliffs on sharp shale rock and get between 25-30k out of the set, with the truck loaded down heavy at all times. No flats either.

Friend of mine has a set of 285/70/17 on his cummins and is getting close to 45k on them. They are about worn out but still have a little left in them.

They make a lot of roadnoise is the only complaint I've heard, it doesn't bother me at all though.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

I ran 6 sets of KM2's on my Ram 3500 and changed them at about 40K miles each time. Still had tread on them but after 40K they softened up a bit and rock would chew holes in them. The truck I just bought has Toyo's now but will be getting KM's when it's due.
Jim

I've ran most of them at one point or another. Mud tires aren't made for mileage, so you have to deal with that factor. Right now I'm running the new Kelly fierce attitude mudders. The are a 10 ply heavy load range tire. The have been awesome in every terrain I've had them in. Toyos have warranty issues, I would stay away from them. BFG' s are good, but I like these kellys better than any of the BFG's I've had.

i love the bfg mud terrain. i ran them on my superduty. i worked at a dealership and rotated them every 3000 miles and did a yearly alignment. i got over 55k out of them in a 35x12.50x18. after they wore out i got the procomp extreme at's and only got about 35k out of them. i drove that truck 135k miles on three sets of tires. its all about rotations, balancing and getting alignment issues taken care of at the first sign of uneven wear.

I'm doing a little test. I have a worn BF Goodrich on the right front. A pretty fair Firestone Town n Country on the left front. On the back I have a pretty nice pair. Rear left is a TOYO I got at a yard sale that didn't get rotated and was run out of alignment so the tread is sloped. Right side has a Mastercraft CTC with a patch tread missing on one edge and I'm running a tube in it because it leaks.

I'll let you know the results as soon as I finish the test.

Be_Bop just had to include me into this somehow;
GEEZUS!!!
Is this caelk or kilo???

I only got 97,000 on my Goodyear Wrangler A/T's so looks like the Caelk out did me.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

I have 35/12.50/18 toyo mt's on my duramax.bfg km2 285/75/16 on my truck.

I like both, km2 being a little better on traction. I've also heard good things on the Nitto mt's. They are a bit cheaper and seem to be doing great under oilfield trucks. Anyone here running them? I know toyo makes nitto so they should be pretty good, their at's are good.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

I'm running 37" Kumho mudders on 22" Gear wheels on my super duty, they are very hard rubber and great for heavy trucks. Very quiet and great in rock, mud and snow.....I love 'em!

A true mud tire will never perform well in snow; a true snow tire will never perform well in mud. You have to compromise because the best of the best in each category will perform poorly in the other category.

Mud tires require open tread pattern & snow tires require tight tread pattern with lots of siping.

Highway miles driven are just as important. If the mud or snow gets real bad, that's what chains are for. :)

I went with Goodyear Duratrac's and so far they the best compromise tire I've ever ran. Still too new to determine how long they last.

"Windage & Elevation Pilgrim, Windage & Elevation"

bfg km2s for me as well thats all i run on my 2500 dodge cummins 35/12.50.17 i also run them on my tacoma to me they cant be beat!

'IT AINT EASY BEING ME'

Nice Set there NVB!

You comparing them?

I don't care if they're big or small!
If they throw lead I like em all!

JB, I agree, they're not primarily a mud tire, just the best damned tires I've ever run. Great treadwear, great gas mileage, no road noise, great handling, no flats despite lot of driving in the desert, just a fantastic value tire.

But you're right, not a mud tire.

I like my Toyo's.

I have a set for winter, Toyo MT's and a set for summer, Toyo AT's.

I change 'em out in May and in October.....

I buy a new truck every 5 years/95,000 miles and they seem to hang in there till I get the new truck.

Robb

gOOYEAR man gere mtr's get done!@ translated below
"Goodyear man here...MTR's are a great tire".
4a2c3c3419e430ad.jpg

rackmaster

I personally hate the KM2's and the Toyo's. I've got 26k on my current set of Goodyear MTR's and there still look brand new, The guy that bought my old truck got 44k on the set that I sold it with. And there not so damn annoying as the KM's or Toyo's!

TICK
TALL, WIDE, AND HANDSOME

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom