best pack w/ rifle on shoulder

muleymaddness

Very Active Member
What's your opinions of the best pack if you plan on carrying your rifle, with sling, on your shoulder? I have the Badlands, but it seems to like to slip off pretty easy.

Looking at the pictures in the link provided, did it take some getting used to having the barrel right by your face, or where does it sit on your body? Is it right even with the shoulder strap of the pack? Does it block you sight at all? Look like it is a good product. Thanks.

It really didn't take much to get use to the barrel potition. I actually carry mine with the scope turned around 180 degrees. My brother likes to carry his as shown in the picture. No problem with sight lines. I've been on 3 sheep hunts with the system and use it for both deer and elk here in Utah.

My son used to use a pack that had a small L shaped bracket/clip on the top of the shoulder strap. It kept the sling from sliding off. I will try to find out the brand.

It is not your pack, it is the sling. Get the CLAW. Eliminates the slippage. Most Badlands have some rubber on the pack harness the CLAW can grip on. The Kifaru is nice but I did not like it. It put my scope in my armpit. I have no field use with it though. Once I switched to the CLAW it eliminated all slippage. I use the X1 by Eberlestock, when the going gets tough I shove the gun in the scabbard or when hiking in the dark. I sling my rifle when in hunting mode but covering ground.

Get an Eberlestock pack. You don't have to carry your gun on your shoulder, and it's still within easy reach. I'm a big fan of the Just One model.

I dont' know which model of Badlands you have, but I found with the hypervent that I didn't have problems with it slipping off. I also use a neoprene sling with the nonslip coating on the underside.

+ one on the gun bearer. There is alot positioning to satisfy most people. Hunters that have seen or used mine want one.

I had not heard of the previously mentioned sling. It sounds like it may work well. I have used the safari sling for several years. It has worked for me and is inexpensive. It works both with a pack (carried in front of you) or over the shoulder.

You can get them from cabelas.

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0005803220723a.shtml

>I had not heard of the
>previously mentioned sling. It
>sounds like it may work
>well. I have used
>the safari sling for several
>years. It has worked
>for me and is inexpensive.
> It works both with
>a pack (carried in front
>of you) or over the
>shoulder.
>
>You can get them from cabelas.
>
>
>http://www.cabelas.com/p-0005803220723a.shtml

I like the safari also. Have used for years and find it very versatile.

I'm another fan of the Kifaru Gunbearer System. I've used mine for nine years and the wife has used hers for eight. Everyone that sees it in action in the field wants one. I can't imagine hunting without it.

My wife is hotter than Tiffany's mother!

Scrap the badlands and get the Eberlstock just one pack. It has a rifle holder that holds your gun secure and you can draw it and fire in seconds without taking the pack off. Its the stuff!

I use a Barneys Sports Chalet Hunter Pack with the Kifaru Gun Bearer. Bar none, its the best set up I've ever used. When I'm going through country where I'm not on top of the food chain, but part of it, I want the gun close at hand and easily accessible. The gun bearer does that for me. Plus I like that its in the front where I can get at it and protect it at the same time.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom