Best pant to hunt Mexico?

Gamewatcher

I'll be heading down to hunt coues deer in January. I've never been in this type of terrain before, so I'm hoping to get some tips on what type of pants and boots are the best for hunting with all the different types of cactus. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

We hunted Barbary in southern New Mexico in January a few years ago.

I don't know what the temps will be where you are going, but the cactus and shin-dagger thorns should be pretty similar... and they were terrible.

We wore heavy boots with ankle-height gaiters to keep thorns out of our socks. It was too warm for heavy pants or chaps, but we found the KUIU Tiburon pants were more resistant to thorn snags than the KUIU Attack pants.

When I go back down, I'll take long underwear to wear beneath Tiburon or Alpine pants in the morning and then take the long underwear off as it warms up during the day.

Have fun on your hunt, that's on my shortlist for the next few years. Let us know how it goes.

Grizzly

I hunt Mexico every year, for a mountain Coues hunt, I use Carhartt double front pants(the lighter weight ones). I also use coveralls for driving quads until I get where I want. Easy to slip on and off.
Depending on where you are going, Gaiters don't do much, catclaw is chest high.

I wear Carhartt's, and nothing but. You will destroy a pair of KUIU or any other pair of high dollar pants if you're hunting really thick country.

NVMDF

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom