Best radios

monstermuleyhunter

Sick and tired of trying new radios every year. What are the best you guys have tried? I don't really want to spend the $400 for a rhino because I have 4 boys and that means $2000! Any ideas would be appreciated.

"I'll see you all this coming fall in the Big Rock Candy Mountains!"

We used some Baofeng last weekend on a cow hunt. My brother inlaw had some.They worked great. He said they have talked up to ten miles in the mountains. I'm sold on them especially the price, about $32 each on Amazon. You also got to buy the high gain antenna they run about $5. I'm going to get some for my wife's CWMU tag in November and my brothers LE late elk hunt. We were running off of UHF. From what I understand you should not need a license for the radios, but I could be wrong.

I looked at the Baofengs on Amazon quite a while ago. The only complaint I remember on the reviews were that the instructions are in Chinese :)

We had the model BaoFeng UV‑5R Dual Band UHF/VHF Radio. There is also a UV-5R + model. The only difference is it has a nicer front piece on it for looks only. The other good thing about these radios is you can go to the NOAA website and put in the frequency for the weather in your area.

Deer1975 thanks....ill give them a shot...any idea if they will communicate with regular radios?

I don't have any idea if they will talk to a two way radio. I just ordered my radios today. I should have them within a week and I will let you know how things work out with them.

Do you need a ham license to use these?

O--one
B--big
A--ass
M--mistake
A--america

I am not sure if you do or not. I am going to get the radio and mess around with it to see. The radios we borrowed last week, they did not have a ham radio license. We were running off UHF. From what I understand you don't need a license for UHF. I am by no means an expert on this.

I ordered 6 so hopefully they work out. Legally you do need a license but who cares. Ive read up on them and if you do know the frequency of normal radio and program it they will work.

You do need a ham license to use them. They are over the wattage limit for use otherwise.
They can be programmed to use the frequencies of the standard hand held radios.
Use them enough and you will get caught.
The better option is to study and take the 17$ test.

I'm Turnin Your Ass in Deer!:D:D:D

Go Ahead!

Make Me take it down!

9001hank2.jpg

LBH,
They are better than handheld Motorolas for sure. 10 times the power.
If you both have line of site to a repeater, then you can communicate for hundreds of miles.
If you are just using them for normal talking, point to point...then they are significantly better, but still are not perfect.
It is smart to get the license, then you understand how to operate, etc, and then you are legal.
They are 8 watts.

SLC has a very good detection system. They put in place for the olympics.

I bought 5 and used them for the general rifle in southern Utah and they are by far the best radios I have ever had. They worked every time I used them...hills, canyons, long distance. I was talking to people in my party 5 miles away. The only negative was after 5 days of not charging one died without much warning...said battery was 75% then said low voltage and died.

Im glad the radios I said worked out for you mm Hunter . I got a new pair at the house, I've just been out of town working to play with them yet.

Guys,
Make sure you are within the law! There are Emergency, FEMA, Sheriffs, Medical,...that rely on these station being used by licensed people, so they can conduct their business.

GET A LICENCE, or use the right kind of radios.
Do some searches on the web, you will find guys getting jail, and thousands of dollars in fines.

The HAM test requires study and a $17 test.

Determined quickly whether a radio is legal to use on MURS:
If the radio is Part 95 certified and operates on MURS frequencies
If the radio was Part 95 certified prior to November 12, 2002 and transmits no more than 2 watts, and has no external control to increase power above 2 watts and only operates wideband on the 154 MHz frequencies (all parts must be true)
If the Radio was Part 90 certified prior to November 12, 2002 and transmits no more than 2 watts and has no external control to increate power above 2 watts and does not narrowband on the 151 MHz and 154 MHz frequencies or narrowband on 151 MHz and wideband on 154 MHz frequencies (all parts must be true)

The following are the frequencies authorized for use by the MURS:
Frequency Authorized Bandwidth
151.820 MHz 11.25 kHz
151.880 MHz 11.25 kHz
151.940 MHz 11.25 kHz
154.570 MHz (also part of business band) 20.00 kHz
154.600 MHz (also part of business band) 20.00 kHz
Click here for a list of radios that we currently offer supporting the MURS frequencies.

Baofeng UV-5R IS Model I went with...had the best reviews for quality and price combined. Ill do my due diligence to do HAM test to satisfy the law. I didn't program radios like everyone suggested...I simply opened the box's, picked a predetermined channel built into the radio, made sure frequencies matched and they all work exactly how I need them to. Im sure they are far more capable of doing more but they do what I ordered them to do right out of the box.

Can a person program them on the standard GMRS channels and not need a license? Do they still have the 5 watt power if on GMRS channels?

bowhunt,
How do you go about getting the license? I assume there is a test and if so, what do you do to become informed about it. Classes? etc.
It sounds like it would be worth the effort.

If you get the license and use those channels; Don't you have to state your call name and license number EVERY time you push the button to talk? If so, what a pain.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom