best raingear for sheep hunt

T

TMAN

What is the absolute best, lightest rain gear to use on a sheep hunt in late August....Yukon?
I've heard alot of rumors about this and that and some guys have talked about Cabelas Mt050(just found out you can't put pants on over boots)not good, and some people rave about the helly hanson...I guess rubber stuff. This is a 12 day backpack hunt, NO horses so its gotta be the lightest going and the best as far as durability and dryness. I am looking for input from you guys who have been there, done that. Did an AK sheep hunt several years ago, but never rained. Used some camo goretex, browning coat. What do you recommend? How much and where do I find it.
Thanks,
Tman

I hunted Dall Sheep in Alaska in 2000,2001, & 2002. Every year the weather was terrible. I thought I was going to grow gills. Anyway, the Helly Hanson is what I went with as recommended by the outfitter I was going with and it was the best rain gear I have ever owned. I hunted Stone Sheep in N. BC this last Aug. and got rained on a lot, but I had my Helly rain gear and stayed dry the whole time. Every bit of other gear that I have is top of the line Cabela's however, I still have to go with the Helly on the rain gear. Good luck.
How are you going with?

Sheepwgn

give me some more info on the HH. Is it camo, does it breathe like goretex, is it light or heavy. I live in the SE US and we don't see that kind of gear on everyday shelves at the local gun store. Its usually mail order and its hard to tell what you're getting and how good it is. How would you compare it to top of the line cabelas gear? I hunted the Wrangells in 2000 and didn't get wet at all.
Is you HH called the impertech??? who sells it?
Thanks

I use the MT050. Have had it for 5 years hunted Alaska with it stayed dry the entire time. Backpacked into unit 4 on a Wyoming sheep hunt this year it rained all day while we were hiking in. The other guys I was with had dry plus rain gear and were wet. I never had a problem. Works great keeping the wind out also.

Tman, I hunted stone sheep in the Yukon in 2000 and was rained on most everyday. Your best bet is the Helly Hanson and you can get it at http://www.barneyssports.com. I personnally used a Lowes Alpine shell over wind blocker polarfleece and found this combination warm, dry and very light weight.

Best of Luck to You on your hunt.

Sheep Slam #1119

sheepslam 1119,
Thanks for your input. I have checked out the HH at the website you rec. and found that it is not camo'd. Got me to thinking.
I snow ski in North Face outerwear. I have a 100% blue and black gortex parka that all I wear under it is a polarfleece turtle neck. Staying warm and toasty and completely dry even in sleet and heavy snow. I would love to use this for my sheep hunt, but was thinking I needed camo. DOES IT MATTER? I don't know, but the HH stuff is blue and yellow, etc. My ski pants are black but just as water proof as the jacket and have zippers that come all the way to the hip. easy on and off.
with my observation of the colorful HH equip. I would say that my blue/blk parka from NF would be just fine. In fact I backcountry hike in it with the same polar fleece underwear and have never gotten cold or wet. The parka has a hood that can be sinched down so just your nose and eyes are "out".
Maybe I don't need the camo after all...
Please respond, as you have hunted sheep alot more than I.
but maybe not for long....ha!
Thanks,
Tman

I have only hunted sheep twice and both times I used my ski gear. purple polar fleece! My 2 cents

You don't need camo! What did the sheep hunters in the 50's, 60's, 70's and before wear. But I guess they never killed any sheep. Sheep, like all mammals, are color blind. Main thing, watch the wind, stay out of sight and move slow.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

Tman, sounds to me like you already have excellent rain gear. I agree with you on camo being overrated for sheep hunting... In fact most camo has such a small pattern dispersion that it turns into a dark mass that stands out at a short distance. Have you ever wondered why the U.S. Military stays with a large pattern on their BDU's. It is because their research has shown that a large pattern is simply better at breaking up a persons outline.

A blue/black combination would be an outstanding choice for a sheep hunt in the Yukon. My recommendation is to go all synthetic, no cotton and Polar Fleece instead of Wool (the one exception being smart wool socks).

Send me a personal email ([email protected]) and I will forward my pack list ... I weighed each piece of my gear and then rated it upon my return.

Sheep Slam, GSO #1119

Sheep Slam--

You must have just missed the cut off for the GSO Magazine that just came out. I see they are only up to #1118 in the latest issue. I have a picture of a stone sheep that I took this year in this issue and I'm finally registered for the 3/4 drawing at FNAWS.
I think you are right on with your recommendation of rain gear and polar fleece for this guy. The combo has not failed me yet.

Sheepwgn

Sheepwgn

I got my GSO Magazine in the mail yesterday and was a little disappointed that Dennis stopped at #1118. I finished my Slam on 6 October and submitted the documentation mid month. Hey, I will be number one in the Spring 2004 issue!

Saw your Stone on page 28... Nice classical stone, white face dark body. My Stone and Desert are pictured in the Spring 2003 issue on page 100.

Hope to see you at FNAWS and best of luck on the 3/4 draw.

Sheep Slam
GSO #1119

I will look for you in the next issue. Congratulations on your slam. Are you from here in NV? I'm from Vegas. I will be at FNAWS on Sat. Jan 17th. I will hit the exhibit hall and then attend the dinner banquet that night. Someone has to win the 3/4 slam drawing, it might as well be me. By the way, where did you get your 4 sheep at?

Take care.

Sheepwgn

Sheepwgn

Born and raised in Texas and transplanted to Virginia a year ago.

I am not planning to go to the banquet dinner on Saturday ... will take in a show with the wife as she will be tired of all the sheep talk and I can not afford any of the auction hunts anyway. The Grand Slam Awards are Friday Morning and I will be receiving the award with several close friends that have also completed their Slams.

I took my Rocky in Idaho Unit 36B and hunted with White Cloud Outfitters. I got some great advice and help on this BB. Here's His Picture.

RockySheep4.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom