Best Region for Jackalope?

Wiszard

Long Time Member
I've read a bit up on these and am going to start researching a 2010 hunt for them. How big do they get? The only ones I've seen in postcards and online are small forks or spikes. I can't figure they'd get much bigger due to their small bodies and the lack of neck strength. As I've said, I've never hunted for them....and never actually seen one. A buddy of mine said he's seen a few of them up near Casper so I was thinking of putting in around that area. Any info regarding jackalopes would be greatly appreciated. If I've already missed the season this year, I'll plan on a 2011 hunt. I'm not sure if the season is early in the year or late.

Steve

it is a one day season. June 31st every year. I would try around Douglas (50 miles east of Casper). It is the Jackalope capital of the world. Check out the sporting goods store in town there they have a few nice mounts of local specimens. Also a nice mount of a bird with a pheasants head on a chuckars body. not sure what you would call that :)

7539imgp2787.jpg

Are there different sub-species of jackalope? The ones I have seen hanging in bars and such have like deer antlers where that one you posted looks to have antelope horns.

A one day season? That doesn't leave much time to hunt. I guess you gotta shoot the first one you see? Thanks for the info.

Steve

A true Jackalope has antelope horns. I think most of those others that you have seen are just a jack rabbit that someone put pisscutter deer antlers on.

They are pretty prevelant but yes I would shoot the first one I saw. Don't mess around trying to guess a score. Just shoot. They are fast. If they bust you, they will be three counties away before you can say "hey joe is a #@%$^#%$ jackalope"

Wiz, the drawing deadline was yesterday, you missed it. I put in for area 069 every year. It's over by Newcastle. I have max points and still the odds are very low. There are a ton of people with max points.

Put in for a point this July.

Eel

I thought the ones found in Utah were called Utardalopes. Maybe I'm wrong.....

I can't believe I missed the draw this year! I'm actually surprised no one replied, "Is this a joke"?. I was trying to be as naive as possible...like that one kid on here recently. What was his name? Jimmyutah or something like that? That kid was definately a home grown Utahan!

Steve

I have 27 points for Utah saved up and can't get drawn but they only give out two tags a year and one is a auction tag,sold for 125,000 last year at the Rocky Mt. Jackalope convention.I here they may have two more on Antelope Island this year,good luck on the drawing

Be sure and get some nice thick chaps to wear in case you are charged by one. You don't want to be gored in the shins or calf muscle and possibly bleed out . Enjoy ! I will say that they do run in cycles some years but if we don't see any more snowstorms out in the TBNG it should be prime this year !!!! Sadly I'l be missing out on it. I'm spending my hunt cash on a backpack trip up into the Wind River Range for a week to check it out.

Pat C.

I don't get it. How do you tell the difference between a rabbit and a female Jackelope? In all of the pictures I have seen, they look exactly the same.

I have never heard of them in Oregon. What states have seasons for these critters? I would be interested in any information anyone could pass along... I'm not looking for anyone's honeyhole, just hoping to get pointed in the right direction. Thanks for your help. A PM is fine.

Utah has a tag.I use Kilowatts application service.Just send him 100$ and he does all the paper work and will let you know if you get drawn.I've been useing him for 27 years with no problems he runs a great service.I here eelgrass helps him during the peak of the application period,lots of people apply.Hope this helps you out.

Wizzz, You may want to consider doing a "High Fenced Hunt". Not only can these hunts be expensive but the conditions could kill an average hunter. Keeping that in mind you will need to be in the best shape of your life and ready to look death right in the eye!! Just an idea, good luck and if you do one take some pictures and post em up!!

Do alot of practicing with you weapon. You normally only get one shot at these mean critters . Have heard stories of hunters getting gored to death be cause of a missed shot and being charged.

I didn't see this species covered in the Wyoming edition of the Hunt'n Fool. Anyone know Garth's favorite unit for a potential B&C?

Even Garth knows what a prize these tags are. Rumor is that Garth has been trying for years to get a tag and has been unsuccessful.

This may be one reason there is no mention of it in H-fool.

I have been putting in for the last 15 years without getting drawn considering buying a govenors tag this year does any of the states offer a govenors tag?

Hey I drew a NR tag this year and curently have it for sale on E-bay, reserve of $35,000.00 has already been met but auction does not end untill April 1st.

If you had a choice, would you go to WY or CO. I'm trying to figure out if the peak rut differs between the two states.

I've heard landowners in both states will pay you to shoot the larger, trophy j-lopes. The reasoning is, the large jacks have small, constricted nuts so they have problems producing sperm for reproduction.

I believe the theory came from a New Hampshire State Biologist. He/she also had some theories on how Muleys and Jackalopes competing for the same forage has forced Nebraska to finally open a J-lope season...but we all know they are WAY TOO EASY in Nebraska!

What I want to know is, who called the joker from New Hampshire and who cares what he/she has to say.

Drew

PS - I had no intention of hijacking the post; but where is the best part of USCON to pull an above average j-lope without leaving the truck or my tent?

PSS - just looking for general areas, not GPS coords

PSSS - if needed, I could trade coords for a very, very mean woman.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-19-10 AT 11:28AM (MST)[p]Jackalope hunting just isn't what it used to be. With all the bunny huggers (ironic eh?) stopping lethal Sasquatch control, numbers are way down. A buddy of mine is a biologist and he told me that a Sasquatch will kill a jackalope a day! That adds up! Still don't know why SFW never includes Sasquatch in their predator derbies when you consider the impact they are having? That being said, there are still a few guys that manage to kill trophy jackalopes every year. I heard Cameron Hanes arrowed a monster at 180 yards after a 29 day solo backcountry trip 187 miles into the wilderness last fall.

Good luck.

Dax

They really come out at night and we have always just chased them with the head lights on the trucks. Great fun, but them horns are rough on your rigs tires!!! Happy hunting!!!

I have made my living guiding big game hunters, but on the side I guided for jackalope too. I made over three times the money guiding for jackalope that I did for big game. Back in the late 50's and early 60's when I served my apprenticeship there were a ton of trophy class jackalope and business was very lucrative.

Good luck on your hunt. You better get done as I hear the license fee and points are going to be higher than a sheep tag.

If you are serious about getting a trophy and have a lot of money, I hear SFW will be selling the governors tags here in Utah.

I was lucky enough to photo one a few years back early in the summer just as it was starting to grow its antlers. This might be one of the only photos of a live jackalope during the period when they are growing their antlers. It is truly a very rare photo.

Good luck. BB

75510.jpg

As rare as this might be, notice its the subspeices from the sylvilagus floridanus (cotton tail) which is far more rare than is the more common varity from the genus lepus line (jackrabbit).

>it is a one day season.
>June 31st every year. I
>would try around Douglas (50
>miles east of Casper). It
>is the Jackalope capital of
>the world. Check out the
>sporting goods store in town
>there they have a few
>nice mounts of local specimens.
>Also a nice mount of
>a bird with a pheasants
>head on a chuckars body.
>not sure what you would
>call that :)
>
>
7539imgp2787.jpg

Phukar?

You guys are hunting the wrong State South Dakota is know Worldwide for their huge Jackalopes. They are known to hang out around the Wall Drug area.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Nice thing about being a resident of Wyoming we can get OTC Tags...
I bagged mine in 2001.....its my favorite trophy...
991hpim0533.jpg

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom