Best Round For Daughter's Rifle

cbeard

Very Active Member
OK guys time for a rifle for my daughter. She has the .243 my Daddy gave me but I think it is time for her to get a "lifetime" rifle. She is 14 and still a little recoil sensitive so I am thinking a 7mm-08 is the ticket. Low recoil yet plenty of punch with a 140 grain bullet @ around 2900 FPS. Should do her fine for whitetail and even if she goes elk hunting with me on occasion.

I have no experience with the round at all though so I would love to hear yours or any other suggestions.Thanks!

Before cartridge wars break out find a rifle that properly fits her and is not too heavy.....Other than that the 7-08 is a great round and would serve anyone well, but I'm a 308 whore so thats what I would buy her :)

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

+1 on the 270***I am picking the 270 for my little Grandchild because of the ammo availability. If you go out of town hunting or out of State you don't want to spend time running all over looking for hard to find calibers. Ammo for a 7mm-08 would be difficult to find in our area.

))))......>

LAST EDITED ON Dec-27-10 AT 07:05PM (MST)[p]My little sister started hunting at age 12 with a 270, and she's small. it's a great round and if the recoil is too much maybe an easybake oven is more in order, it's nothing.

440 smarta$$ comments unnecessary this is my daughter we are talking about here. Save it for the Political Forum or Campfire.

Cbeard I was just thinking about selling a 270win. I would install a limbsaver pad I have for it if you wanted it. Also you could start her out with some of the Remington reduced recoil loads to get her comfortable. PM me if you wanna talk.

God there's a bunch of up tight people here. this must be what the British royal surgeon forum is like.

The fact is the 270 is a great round and anyone can handle the recoil. you can list and debate it all week but any cartridge with the needed amount of energy is going to produce similar recoil and the tragectory isn't going to be any better.

.270. Look at the ballistics. The 150 gr xp3 or nosler partition ought to handle just about any situation. It's all I've hunted with and have killed javalina, antelope, deer, and elk. I'm sure the 7mm-08 would kill a lot of critters too. I just don't have any experience with it. Get your daughter involved in the decision making process as it'll be her gun. 270, 308, 7mm-08, 260 should all be fine. 270 and 308 will have the most ammo selections.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-28-10 AT 07:38AM (MST)[p]I have to vote for the 270 win also. I love mine and recoil is manageable for anyone. IMO it is the perfect deer and medium size game cartridge and with 150gr. bullets its plenty for elk.

I dropped a 9 pt whitetail with mine yesterday with a 130gr Accubond, he didn't take a step! I posted a pic on the Whitetail page.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-28-10 AT 07:55AM (MST)[p]Well guys I appreciate the thoughts. My pet rifle is a Sako Deluxe in .270 Win I've had for 30 years so I'll let her see if she is comfortable with it. I really like the idea of getting her involved in the round selection too.

complete that's a nice buck I would love to be able to hunt whitetails in the snow-not possible in TX.

440 as you know from the political forum I am normally very thick-skinned but any Daddy worth his salt is sensitive about any talk relating to his daughter. I'm sure you meant no offense.

cbeard,
let us which cartridge you decide on and how it works out for you. I have two girls and I've already been thinking about what rifle to get them. They are still young so I've got time but the more ideas/info I have the better!
Good Luck!

Cbeard do you handload? you could start out with a little too much gun for now and make it less gun with squib loads at first if you needed to.

I have been shooting the 110 grain ttsx's in my 270 win.....and they are loaded hot. Recoil is almost nothing. I would find it hard to believe that the recoil would be too much for anyone that WANTS to hunt.

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

257 Roberts would be another good caliber to consider. Short enough to use in a short action light rifle and recoil is very light. Good caliber for deer and antelope and could be used for elk if shots were confined to 150 yards and the shooter was good enough to plant the bullet where it needs to hit. Just use 115-120 gr. well constructed bullets for the elk. 100 gr. for the deer size animals.

RELH

I just bought a 7mm-08 for my kids, last sunday. They both killed bucks with their 243s this year. I'm hoping that they draw youth tags in Az. in 2011. A 120 grain Barnes TTSX going 3000 fps should do the trick.

Don P

I have used a 7mm-08 for over ten years and still do. Could care less what the manly men think its an excellent round. I reload so I have a better selection of bullets but factory is fine. I have used mine for Bighorn Sheep, moose. Whitetails, javelina, black bear, antelope, and mt goat. My daughter also used it on deer when she was 12. All were one shot kills.My brother uses his for mule deer and elk with factory ammo and has had one shot kills. What more do you need. And yes I also have a 257Roberts and a 270. Nothing wrong with them either.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-29-10 AT 06:16PM (MST)[p]7mm-08 hands down, Sorry guys but the .270 bullets have horrible ballistics compared to the 6.5's or the .284's. It's pretty bad when I can get flatter trajectory and more knock down out a 260 Ackley than a .270 WIN. Gun don't kick worse than a 243. Try doing that with a light 24" barreled .270.

HERE COMES THE CIRTICS:D Take it easy guys I'm just giving my opinion. I know several people that shoot 270's. I just like a short fat case stuffed with powder! I'm just over technical when it comes to my guns!

TICK
TALL, WIDE, AND HANDSOME

The .277 bullet of the same weight and speed as the .284 cannot have worse balistics, physics don't allow it. the .264 bulet would beat both if you could drive it the same speed as with a .264 win mag.

The bottom line is anything a 7mm-08 can do a 270 WCF can do better, UNLESS you want to go over 160 gr bullets. I'm just stating the facts, look in the loading manuals if you need to verify it.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-29-10 AT 10:05PM (MST)[p]>The .277 bullet of the same
>weight and speed as the
>.284 cannot have worse balistics,
>physics don't allow it. the
>.264 bulet would beat both
>if you could drive it
>the same speed as with
>a .264 win mag.
>
> The bottom line is anything
>a 7mm-08 can do a
>270 WCF can do better,
>UNLESS you want to go
>over 160 gr bullets. I'm
>just stating the facts, look
>in the loading manuals if
>you need to verify it.
>

edit, didnt read your post clearly the first time...but will say the 7/08 with a 162 will get to 1000 with less MOA than anything you can feed the 270 win..its a good little cart.

Cbeard, IMO, the cart aint nearly as important as the rifle its shot from, and that weighed heavy on my opinion...Kimber Montana in 7/08 is still my choice, and I'd be in 120 ttsx mode.The 270 win is also a great choice, just dont get it in a tank of a rifle.

>The .277 bullet of the same
>weight and speed as the
>.284 cannot have worse balistics,
>physics don't allow it. the
>.264 bulet would beat both
>if you could drive it
>the same speed as with
>a .264 win mag.
>
> The bottom line is anything
>a 7mm-08 can do a
>270 WCF can do better,
>UNLESS you want to go
>over 160 gr bullets. I'm
>just stating the facts, look
>in the loading manuals if
>you need to verify it.
>

Yep, I have to agree with fudgepacker here!

CS i think that 7mm/08 would make a good cartridge for your offspring. It can flat out do the job and if you load it up with some 120 grain bullets it's not bad to shoot at all. I think remington may also have some light loads for it that will let them grow into it a bit. The youth offering from remington has a good pad and adjustable LOP. If you thinks it's too much that .243 will do a great job on deer sized game and is fun to shoot and if you have more than one youngster you can get a bigger caliber for the second gun. Nice thing is you can rebarrel it on down the line and make it whatever you want but my guess is they'll love it just like it is in either one.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-30-10 AT 03:14PM (MST)[p]i would agree the 7-08 is a awesome cartridge. this and the .300 savage are my personal whitetail guns. in the 7-08 i shoot a 120 nbt at 3,000 fps and the .300 sav a 150 grain round nose " 30-30 " bullet at 2750 fps. neither have bad recoil and i wouldn't hesitate to shoot an elk with either. the terminal damage is impressive. having said all of this i also agree the .260 or .257 roberts are more versitile for all game BUT i think the .243 is a lifetime rifle. my dad has shot his 700 6mm for years on deer /antelope and works awesome. i have my wife and sister in law shooting my handloaded 95 grn nbt's in .243 and it knocks the shinola out of deer. and doesn't kick at all. everyone handles recoil differently. my wife can shoot her .243 well but flinches when she shoots my 7-08 or .270 handloads. albiet these are warm loads.

The Browning X-Bolt 7mm-08 is quickly becoming one of my favorite guns. Very accurate with little recoil.

OK with Sarah's help I have made up my mind. 7mm-08 it is. Plenty of punch with minimal recoil (1/3 less recoil than .270 Win for example).

Now just have to decide on the platform. I may go for the Kimber Montana as suggested. From a sentimental aspect,the .243 she has been using is a Remington 700 BDL given to me by my Dad/her grandfather so I may go with a BDL/CDL.

She only this past year expressed a real interest in hunting but is a quick study and took a beautiful buck on December 17. Best Christmas present I ever had.

Thanks for all the replies!

Dont forget the 260 rem, almost identical as the 7mm-08 but a 6.5 cal my wife shoots and loves hers and it has almost identical ballistics as a 270 with a lott less recoil !

'IT AINT EASY BEING ME'

Any of the 6.5s are amazing little calibers. Mark my words that 6.5s and 7mms are about to give the 25s, 27s, and 30s a whooping.

If I had a kid and was buying a gun right now I'd go 260 in the Savage
stainless especially if you reload.

That being said I think I'm going to get another RUM too :)

Chuck Hawks has a recoil chart that compares a 260 and a 270. With 140 grain bullets and a quarter pound heavier in weight for the 260, recoil is 11.9 for the 260 and 17.1 for the 270. BUT muzzle velocity was only 2750 for the 260 and 3000 for the 270. wonder what the difference in recoil would be if you slowed up the 270 to the same muzzle velocity. both are good rounds, but if you don't handload I would buy a 270. ce61

LAST EDITED ON Jan-05-11 AT 04:05PM (MST)[p]Muzzle velocity is an important piece of the puzzle but high ballistic coeffecients are the key.

Don't have time to look up all the numbers but I'd guess you can drive a 130 grain 6.5 bullet around 200fps slower than a similar .277 130 grain bullet and get similar performance.

Throw a 6.5 140 grainer in there vs a .277 140 and the 6.5 really shines.

Not dogging the 270-I own two of them. But the 6.5s are better.

Cbeard,
See if you can find a Remington 788 in a 7mm-08. Nice little tack drivers, short compact guns, light weight, get rid of the ugly beech stock and get a nice fiberglass one and you will have a rifle that you almost wouldn't want to let your daughter have. LOL just kidding.
WVBOWAK

Found a sweet little Winchester Classic Compact on Gunbroker-paid too much for it but I love the old Model 70s and this was as close as I could get to one in 7mm-08.It weighs a little over 6 1/2 pounds.

Now for the scope-thinking Leupold VXIII in 2.5-8X.

That was a good read. Funny reading this huge debate on calibers with almost identical ballistics. Is 10-20 grains in a bullet weight or 100-200 fps per second really going to make much difference? In reality, it is not going to matter much and every caliber listed will get the job done with almost identical results. A 270 win going 3000 fps (140 grain bullet) is going to do as much damage as a 7mm-08 using idenitical bullets. A 243 win is going to real close as well. A 25.06 is right in there as well, same with the 308. All quality rounds and the rifle make will probably make more of a differnce than the actual round. You could make a list of calibers from 270 down to 243 pretty long, and most of them will be very good guns in the right set up.

I personally would just let her use the 243 win pushing 100 gr barnes, nosler or hornady bullets at close to 3,000 fps. Not too many deer are going to walk away from that round...just my .02

You made a good choice. My wife shoots a Savage model 116 (left handed stainless) in 7mm/08. In 3 years she's taken antelope, deer and elk. The deer/antlope load is 139 grain Hornady SSTs and the elk load is 140 grain Barnes TSXs. Both RL 19 and IMR 4350 gave great accuracy.

4 years ago she'd never shot a gun and was scared of them. Now she shoots that gun real well and is comfortable with it.

Good luck to you and your daughter.

>You made a good choice.
>My wife shoots a Savage
>model 116 (left handed stainless)
> in 7mm/08. In
>3 years she's taken antelope,
>deer and elk. The
>deer/antlope load is 139 grain
>Hornady SSTs and the elk
>load is 140 grain Barnes
>TSXs. Both RL 19
>and IMR 4350 gave great
>accuracy.
>
>4 years ago she'd never shot
>a gun and was scared
>of them. Now she
>shoots that gun real well
>and is comfortable with it.
>
>
>Good luck to you and your
>daughter.

Thank you for that info Califelkslayer. I am thinking the 140 grain bullet will be our choice across the board too-in different configurations of course depending on what she is hunting. Thinking about an antelope hunt with her this year-perfect hunt with kids I think.

440 I see I didn't answer your question above-no I don't handload but it looks like fun from reading all you guys talk about it on here. My plan is to take it up once my kids are out of the house in about 4 years when things slow down a little bit.

I would look at the 25/06 or a 260 rem. I have a 260 in a model seven and My wife shoots it and loves it and also some of my 300lbs buddy have used it and loved it. I also took my bighest mule deer ever with it and it never ran 40 yard after one shot. Check out the weatherby vangaugd youth model. The stock can be added to as your daughter grows.

"Let's keep things in perspective.I mean for Peet's sake there are kids in Africa that don't even hunt....hello" Jimmy Big Time

I'm also looking for a rifle for my girl. My problem is that my girl is a quite small, even for her age (10). She's lucky to be 55lbs and shortest in her class, but she's really excited to hunt and I promised her a gun when she passed hunters education (which she did last weekend). We'll be hunting mule deer and elk in NM and need something that she can use for both. I'd be interested to hear suggestions about a good rifle on the small/light side in 7mm-08 or .243 (although I worry about .243 for elk). I've been looking at the Weatherby Vanguard Youth and the Savage youth. Need something with a pretty short length-of-pull. She's the oldest of 4 so I won't mind spending a bit to get a good rifle that everyone could use as they grow up.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-30-11 AT 08:25PM (MST)[p]If she's that small I'd start her out on a 223. weather or not you let her hunt elk with a 243 is your call...Shoot a good penetrator like Barnes, and it will do the job, if she shoots it well.

Don't over look the managed recoil ammunition by Remington put, I had my boy try some in my Winchester 270 after shooting 20 full recoil rounds or so of the 243. He said that he could not tell the difference in recoil between the two. I personally have not shot the 7mm-08. But if the 270 was reduced to recoil similar to the 243 I would think your daughter would be OK with the 7mm-08 round.

400bull

I agree that the 7mm-08 would be a great choice. Looking over the thread though, i see that i hadn't put in my two cents yet so i'll do so now with a little word of caution.

When you have a cartridge that is capable of sending a 140 gr bullet at 2900-3000 FPS, you are going to have a level of recoil that some sensitive shooters may not like. Throw in a lighter rifle and there will be the potential for some younger shooters to develop a bad flinch or not care to shoot the rifle at all.

Granted, the 7mm-08 package will the less of several evils. It's smaller, efficient case will provide a lot of Woomph for the bang but anytime you get moving that kinda weight at that speed, something has to go the other way.

Again, i think the cartridge is a great choice for the younger shooter, for anybody for that matter. I think though that one would be way ahead to get them started off on the 120 grain loads and keep them there until they prove ready and willing to move up to the 140's.

Joey

I am also looking for my 13 year old daughter. After reading some other post in gun section I am wanting to try the 6.5X284. How would the recoil compare to the 7mm-08,260? Would this be a good choice for youth?

bragabit, the 6.5X284 was made famous bu Chuck Norris. They say that when he was born, there was already a rifle of that caliber waiting for him at home in his crib. At 5 years old, Norris shot a record 17 blackbirds with one shot at over 600 yds. At 8, he took his first Mule deer, a 200" net typical, as the buck crossed over a ridge more than a mile away. Some claim that buck had already crested that ridge and the bullet bored through the earth and took the buck clean as it came out on the other side. Chuck was so familiar with that rifle by his adult years, he no longer needed to aim or even point it in any particular direction. All that was needed was to pull that trigger and the bullet would all by itself, seek and find the biggest and best trophy animal on the mountain.

By far though, the most impressive proof of chucks incredible marksmanship with that rifle was when he was in Hollywood filming one of his Kung Fue movies. He had an elk tag for the country around Ely Nev but couldn't get off the film shoot to make the hunt. One day he pulled out that ol 6.5X284 and took aim just above the ridge line due east and a bit north of his location. He steadied, fired off one shot, put the gun back away and then got on the phone to Nevada telling his guide that he had just shot a big bull and exactly where the guide would find it.

I'm told this is all true but don't know any of it fer fact.!

Joey

hjbuys,

Did you find a rifle for your daugther yet? I just bought a Vanguard 7mm-08 youth for my 11yr old daughter, she was finally was able to test drive it yesterday. We used Hornady 139gr. SST factory loads to start with to get some caseings and see how she liked it. I was impressed by how well it shot, nice tight groups. I was some what surprised at how much recoil it had with this load though. She is used to shooting a .22 and her .17, so the move up surprised her a little. Grandpa already has a load in mind so we'll gradually work her up to 140gr. for elk next year!! For the price, it's a nice little rifle!

Destroy her, Did you read post #41? Hopefully no permanent shooting damage, flinching, jerking the trigger, being afraid of the gun, occurred to her in her deer rifle debut. You can't know if it did until years from now, even if she says not.

Anytime a person is setting up a kid with a big game rifle, extra shoulder padding and double ear protection, ear plugs and muffs, is a absolute must. Stick with the lighter loads, 120's, until she is willing and wanting to move up.

I do hope it will all work out well for her.

Joey

Sage
Hopefully I didn't "destroy her" I think it was more of a surprise, but time will tell! She had plenty of ear protection and a little padding after the first shot, and actually shot pretty well. I went in and picked up some 110gr. Speer HP today (nothing fancy)for her Grand dad to load up. Whats a good powder to work a lite load up for this rifle?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom