Best Saw for bone

jodog

Very Active Member
Best Saw for bone

Whats the best, easiest saw for sawing an elk skull to get the antlers off? Probably most will say a Wyoming Saw Im just wondering if there is anything better...no big deal maybe I just need new blades. Ive had to cut 4 sets of antlers this year....battery operated sawzall would be the best but just to big to carry....

RE: Best Saw for bone

Wyoming saw if your packing...Otherwise these work great...http://www.taxidermy.com/cat/17/saw.html

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Have one like Bucksnort just posted, great saw to have in the game bag but don't carry with me on the hunt, just for work on game at truck.

Brian

If your talking in the field then the Wyoming Saw is one of the best. If you are going to do it when you get home the take a sawzall with a 12tpi blade and that makes pretty short work of it.

Consider not taking a saw at all. Cut the joint between the spine and the skull with a knife. Pack the skull out and cut it at home if you want to. I'm partial to this method though because I do mostly european mounts. The wyoming saw is not that light in terms of backpack "light". That said, the WY is a great saw, I still use my Dad's 35 year old saw regularly.

Wyoming Saw II, the one with the 18" blade rather than the 11" blade. I endured many a bruised, skinned, and bloody knuckles trying to saw the skull caps off of some large bulls with the 11" blade, and had to go at from four different angles for each one. I eventually lost that saw in the field somewhere and ended up replacing it with the 18" Wyoming Saw because that's all they had left at Sportsman's on the particular day that I needed it. what a blessing in disguise that turned out to be. The longer blade makes the task much easier, which in my mind more than makes up for the additional dollars and weight.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom