Best upland game bird dog?

sniper14

I wasn't sure where to post this, but I thought I would try this forum as it seems to get the most traffic. My wife finally caved and is letting me and the kids get a bird dog. She said we could get one, but she wants a dog that is not that "yappy" and "high strung". Just wondering your thoughts on a breed of dog that could meet this criteria. I know training has a lot to do with how good a dog can hunt. Just looking for any input. Thanks in advance

Had a German Shorthair as a kid we used to hunt with.
Was an outstanding bird dog and mild mannered at home.

different dogs do things different, Upland hunting (Chukar, quail, pheasants, etc) Gsp, Epointer, That type dog is great for thos type of hunts.
Duck, Goose any waterfowl hunts, Labs style dogs are the ticket for cold water and thick cattails.
So pick a dog that are suited for the hunts you do most.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

I've been around bird dogs all my life,and in my opinion i would go with the Puddle Pointer, they are a versitile hunting dog that will hunt waterfowl and upland birds. I live in Idaho,and they are a tireless relentless chukar and duck dog. They are a great house dog,and don't hardly shed,and are super around kids. One of the easiest to train,as they have so much natural ability,they basically point and retrieve without much work on the handlers part. Just my opinion,i'm sure this question will will start an argument,because everyone has their favorite FIDO...

Been hunting with German Shorthairs for many years now. I like them because they don't pick up stickers, and they can tolerate cold water, so you can use them for waterfowl as well as upland game.

Their temperament can vary. I like them a little high strung...it makes them much more "birdy", and they have more energy in the field. But it also makes them harder to train.

Best of Luck,
Jeff (MM Sponsor)
http://www.elkmtngear.com

I've been training, trialing, and hunting with bird dogs my whole life. I've trained, or been around pretty much every dog breed out there. For me, and my style of hunting, and trialing, I prefer English Pointers. No matter which breed is chosen, they are all going to drive you nuts, if you don't work them.

Great suggestions keep them coming. Any advise on a good book to read about training hunting dogs. Thanks again!!

I have an English springer spaniel. I love the guy. He's great with kids and super eager to please. He does shed a lot.

If I were you and this is your first dog I'd probably be checking my classified ads and picking up the most cost effective dog you can. There isn't a type of bird dog you'd be unhappy with, decide if you want a flusher or a pointer.

I like a flushing dog better because I hunt a lot of public land and roosters get smart faster than hens. For example I spend a lot of time waiting on my dad's griffon pointing a hen than I do on my springer that flushes right away.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-07-13 AT 03:17PM (MST)[p]I'm sold on Llewellin setters. Great family dog and great bird dog

I've got some pretty good connections in the bird dog world, when you decide which breed you want, let me know, and i'll do my best to find you a well bred pup.

Nope, none at all. I've got several of both, and they all win trials, and find wild birds. It's really all your preference. Males won't fight, if you don't allow it. If you want to talk about bird dogs, and training, I'd be happy to talk with you. Depending on where you live, I might be able to set you up with guys that will help you with your training.

Let shummy help you, as much as I hate to admit it he knows what he's doing with dogs anyways...

Male dogs piss on everything, females go into heat.. pick your poison there.

I've always ran gsp's they do great with pheasant, quail,chuckars and the other upland birds. Great family dogs also. But you need to give them something to do and work them or they will drive you crazy with all the energy they have! 24/7 365!

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

>Nope, none at all. I've got
>several of both, and they
>all win trials, and find
>wild birds. It's really all
>your preference. Males won't fight,
>if you don't allow it.
>If you want to talk
>about bird dogs, and training,
>I'd be happy to talk
>with you. Depending on where
>you live, I might be
>able to set you up
>with guys that will help
>you with your training.

I live in Utah. sounds great. I'll take you up on that training offer once I decide what I'm getting, and of I live close enough to make it possible. Thanks for all the input and help. This has been a real good thread for me. Thanks again to all.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-07-13 AT 07:45PM (MST)[p]I have labs now I like them, they are a great dog if you if you want one for the field and around the house,fairly mellow mostly. I have also had Brittanies don't overlook them, that will most likely be my next dog. I hunted with someone with a Puddle Pointer it was good I liked it also.

I am at least for a while longer an AKC hunt test judge for Spaniels. I have trained and finished one master hunter Springer spaniel. I shot more birds over that dog than all the others I owned combined. He was awesome. With that said my last two GSP's were both Steady to wing, stop to wild flush and force broke to retrieve by the time they were 10 months old. Both of them were females. The shorthairs are an easy breed for me to train.
As for shedding, the Spaniels are bad but I think the GSP sheds worse. I would love to have another spaniel but my GSP's have been awesome. Ron

I have a Wired Haired Pointing Griffon, best dog I have ever owned. Spent a ton training him to be a good bird dog, spent a ton of time training him to be a good house dog. He is the most athletic dog I have ever seen, and doesn't get tired. He is always happy and wants to play all the time. They are also hypoallergenic and doesn't shed much which was the deciding factor.

2706dsc00024.jpg

4317dsc00107.jpg

The best out of the box hunting dog IMO is a shorthair. Great versatile dogs, retrieve well etc. Usually very natural.

That said I run pointers, have had a few placement's at Regional CH's and done a crap load of wild bird hunting with them.

I would focus on a chukar dog, pheasant season in UT is 2 weeks and very few birds. Chukars everywhere and tons of public land, get a bigger running pointer and chase the devil birds.

If you need help finding a good dog feel free to PM me.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-08-13 AT 11:53AM (MST)[p]A good Short hair is tough to beat in the field but they can be too full of energy and go to be easy to handle if also wanting a house dog. Not always but they can be.

My family and friends hunted Brittany Spaniels for many years and found them great on upland, really good deer blood dogs, and would retrieve bigger birds over water but it was not at all their strong suit. They also make fantastic dogs around the house or kids and will be your best friend in no time at all. I'm partial to them but i believe for good reason.

Edit; I well remember my last Brit, George, as a pup following me along the shore of the Feather River as i fly fished in waders here below Chester. My pup was maybe three months old and started making a racket because i was out in the water and he along the shore. I heard the splash and was tickled to death to see that my pup braved the currents to swim out and see me with him not ever having swam before. I caught him before he was swept on by, we helped each other out that way.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

I trained my dog to hold point using a fishing pole and a Chukar wing worked great except when we go fishing. A fish on a fly rod looks just like a Chukar wing on a fly rod. Took a lot of work to teach him the difference and not to dive into the water when I released a fish. He did retrieve a couple fish first time out.

+1 on the English Pointer as an upland game dog. My dog will run circles around most labs out there. Really fun to hunt with.

I just got a German Wirehair Pointer and is a great family dog and is showing signs of producing in the field. She is great around other dogs, friends, family and loves to play. Best dog I have ever had.

Dont want to be a forum hijacker but has anyone here owned a Chesepeake Bay retriever? I am most into waterfowl and have heard they were bread for hundreds of retrievals a day in cold water?

I have knowledge of them, my uncle has had them my whole life. Hard to find a good one. If you are looking, I can ask him where to get one.

Hands down, it's the Pudelpointer for me. It's a cross between an English pointer and the German Hunting Poodle (Pudel) in the late 1800's when they still used the Poodle for hunting. Agressive in the field and great with kids and in the house. I have a six month pup right now and couldn't be happier. A bit spendy, but I think their worth ever dollar. Take a look at You Tube and you'll get a good sample of the dog both in the field and the home. If you throw Boise State in the search, you'll see one retrieving a tee off the field during a game. For me any dog that has that focus with all those distractions, is a very good dog. Be glad to answer any questions you have.

Labs can be great upland dogs. Usually trained as flushers but they can be trained to point. Awesome retrievers, great with kids and lots of personality.

Whichever breed you choose I would strongly consider a "started" dog. Some breeders will offer dogs around 6 months old that already have basic obedience training. They are kind of pricy but the ones I have seen are all very well behaved. This gives you a chance to see more of their personality as well since at 6 weeks they are pretty much just a ball of fur.

Ive always had labs. Lived in the midwest for several years and have shot hundreds of pheasants over labs. Now I live in chukar country and got a german wirehair 3 years ago. I'm sold. By far the best dog I have ever owned. Several friends who own wirehairs convinced me to get one. All their wirehairs are great too. Still like labs, but my wirehair out hunts my labs any day of the week. On both pheasants and chuckars. Great in the house with the family.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom