Best way to slip Antelope horns off

NMPaul

I have done a lot of european mounts on Antelope. I have never been happy how I slip the horns off of the skull.

I normally submerge the entire horn in simmering water and eventually it slips off.

I dont like that the bottom will warp and also it sometimes cracks a little on the bottom.

When I go to put the horn on the cleaned skull I let it soak in warm water again before I slip it on to make sure it is pliant.

Any tricks of the trade the professionals use??

A. Microwave-many won't fit. key is not too long or will damage.
B. Rot method- as described in link
C. Boiling- Method I use,Perhaps your leaving them in too long? Wear a pair of heavy gloves and pull them out every couple min. Don't be gentle,you can't hurt them,twist & pull with all you've got & they should pop off before any damage is done.I like to drill a tiny hole the size of a small brad into the bone right at the base of the horn,then when reattaching insert the brad into the hole to function as a stop to insure you get them set at the right height.(Not as important for a european as with a head mount).If you want to know more go to taxidermy.net forums & do a search,more there than you would ever want to know.

With the boil method don't you lose a bit of the bottom edge??? I just killed a good one who green scored at 84 4/8'ths and don't want to be losing any horn on the bottom. I love my taxidertmist buit he tells me this is the technique he uses. Is the rot method better????

no you wont lose the bottom edge.

rot it and lose a few more inches too shrinkage.

everybody is trying to reinvent the wheel in regards to antelope horn removal, I don't get it?

microwave is quick and painless, if doable. if not boil/simmer and remove. they wont crack if you take care to oil them after.

Yep, microwave is the only way to go! I've done at least a dozen that way, after trying the others.

!!!!!WARNING!!!!
DO NOT MICORWACE TOO LONG. The horn will buldge and its ir-repairable. But don't let that scare you. Just giving you first hand "learned it the hard way" info so you don't make the same mistake.

If you make the standard skull cap cut and not try to microwave the whole head, it should fit in most units fine. It may not rotate, but thats OK.

I'll nuke for 4 minutes and try to pull them off. They will not just slip off. I'll stand them up on the floor, put my foot on the skull cap and really twist/pull hard. If they wont come, back in for another 1-2 minutes, and try again, and again if needed.

!!!WATCH AND LISTEN!!! as they nuke. If they really start making A LOT of popping/sizzeling sounds watch very closely for any cracking/buldging above the cutters and stop the micorwave immediately. As long as there is no buldging you're OK to keep nuking until you can get them to come loose.

Also, wear gloves, it will be extremely hot to handle.

Once the horns are pulled you should be able to scrape/tear off the fleshy membrane still attached to the skull bases.

Best thing about it is if done right you'll have great looking horns and the job is done in 5 minutes!

Oh, ya, do it when you're wife aint home, there is a distinct musky cooking smell, that she may not care for in the kitchen. Or do what I've done and get and old 2nd hand microwave and keep it in the shop ;-)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom