Between Reno and Susanville

AWHOLELOTTABULL

Long Time Member
I was driving North to Susanville last week and about ran off the road while looking at a buck that was laying only 50 yards of the main highway. He still had antlers, and boy were they some nice antlers. I would have fully expected him to have dropped them by now. They didn't even look close to coming off. Beautiful dark horned. I would have guessed him in the 180's. 26-27" wided, HEAVY, with deep forks.

It's always an adventure!!!

Jim, glad you got to see a good buck dude!! I'm not really surprised he hadn't dropped...most the bucks I look at don't drop around here (northern utah) until mid February. I've seen a couple the past week with only one side on though so there's a few dropping...those bucks were all in the 130-160" range so actually I guess it is a little surprising to see a 180's buck not dropped considering his headgear is heavier than most bucks?? My bossman picked up a giant moose shed the other day!! Said he looked and looked for the other side but wasn't able to find it.

So when you going back to get that buck's sheds?? :D

~Z~

Passing back through there tomorrow Z! Who knows. I would have to watch him drop though. I will be pushing it to get to the airport in time to catch my flight home.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-25-12 AT 04:48AM (MST)[p]Robo- buck! ;-)

edit; Just kidding ya Bull! That country along there used to be REALLY GOOD! Nice to see them when you can!!

For Nevada Residents, there is a late season muzzy hunt along there on the Nev side worth looking into...

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Hey BULL;

I'm not sure where you saw the buck, but be careful. There's a wintering mule deer reserve area on the west side of the highway in Kali. If you get caught in there with sheds, the frog cops will cite you. A couple of buddies of mine (unknowingly) did. High five on the sighting though.

Nothing like seeing a big buck on the side of the road. Always gets me pumped and thinking of the next season.

Eldorado

LottaBull,
I used to drive that route on a regular basis a few years back, and I never was lucky enough to see a buck like that! A few good antelope bucks here and there, but never a great muley. Congrats!

Best of Luck,
Jeff
http://www.elkmtngear.com

Thanks nocal. I appreciate the heads up but I'm not much of a shed guy. If they dropped in front of me great but I'm not scouring the hillside for them.:) I love that drive and if Red Rock road is the road that turns off to the right just before you get into the flats going to Susanville then yes. He was on the river side of the road right up on the hill. Just North of the tennis shoe tree.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom