BH 209 Problems?

P

PeterGriffin

I just went through my first bottle of BH 209 and had several ignition problems/misfires. I was using regular old shotgun 209 primers on a TC triumph. I've now heard that this is a fairly common problem with this powder. I guess for the money I was expecting more out of it.

Anybody have any suggestions as I've got another bottle I can't return? Different primers or something???

"Dear MacGuyver, Enclosed is a rubber band, a paper clip, and a drinking straw. Please save my dog." Peter Griffin aka The Family Guy

I've had a few ignition problems also but I would guess that my last twenty shots have fired right away. I have been really trying to seat the bullet with the ram rod with quite a bit of force, I then tap it a little bit to make sure it is down and as tight as possible. Since I started doing this, I haven't had any hang fires.

Two things:

You need a tight fitting bullet and you need one of the stronger primers. I use Remington STS. Others use the CCI 209M primers.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I've using the platinum powebelts-maybe they don't fit tight enough?

Never had any problems with tripple 7 or pyrodex select going BOOM regardless of the bullet or primer.

The BH 209 does clean easier, but it's still not a huge time saver for me. I'll switch up primers and see if that helps me out.

"Dear MacGuyver, Enclosed is a rubber band, a paper clip, and a drinking straw. Please save my dog." Peter Griffin aka The Family Guy

I have never in 5 years had a miss fire with 777. I'll stick with what works. I have no problem running a spit patch down the barrel after each shot. I would hate to have the sights on a 350 bull and hear click when I pull the trigger.

I've gone through three or four bottles of bh209 without a single miss-fire. I am shooting a triumph as well. I have used both winchester 209 primers and cci primers. I would also check and make sure your ignition chamber / hole is not plugged and restricting your ignition source.

Very true, after a number of shots with BH 209, the breechplug gets plugged up. You have to take a 1/8 drill bit and clean out the rear fire chamber and a nipple pick and clean out the front hole.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom