BH-209 Question's...Again...sorry!

Yakatak

I'm an FF-black powder hunter in a Knight MK85 from back when Pyrodex was new!. I swapped over to 777 when they pelletized it. I like the power of 150 grains in an Encore and Omega but accuracy is less than desirable. Now I'm looking at BH-209.

My 1st question is, on BH-209's website it shows 70 grains "weight" per 100 grains volume.
I'm good on the theory but, on my RCBS scale it shows 82.5 "weight" grains on a calibrated scale@ 100 with the brass measure. I'm a handloader from way back and i'm going to weigh my charges until i'm satisfied i can throw a charge consistently. What am I doing wrong?

2nd question, I have a Knight MK85 with a 209 primer conversion using the little red disc's. Am I safe throwing 120 grains "volume" at her, behind a 300gr bullet and live and/or see through it?

Thanks in advance, Yak.

For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and armed militia is their best security.

Thomas Jefferson

Whatever weight vs thrown powder western powders has given is correct. you can take 3 different volume measurers and probably come up with different reading. as for the MK 85 and BH209. it is not a good idea, since the primer can become a projectile and cause serious injury. as you probably know Bh209 builds up more pressure, especially with heavier bullets.do a search on plunger style rifles and BH209.. hope this helps..

LAST EDITED ON Aug-21-11 AT 06:46PM (MST)[p]Any rifle that you have been using 150 gr of pellets should handle 120 gr (volume, not weight) of BH 209. Remember to add aprox 15% power to a charge when comparing BH 209 to pyrodex or 777 regular pellets.

That said, your statement "I like 150 gr, but accuracy is not great (paraphrased)" says a lot. Chances are you will find better accuracy at lower charges of powder on many bullets. I am heading to Colorado on an elk hunt in 2 weeks with 90 gr of BH 209 and a 350 gr Hornady FPB. More than enough power to kill an elk. That combo has taken 2 in the last 3 years, one at 80 yards, one at 120 yards.

Don't believe the magnum hype. A guy who has killed way more than you and I put together (Jim Shockey) made this statment: "100 gr (equivalent) of powder and a premium 300 gr bullet will take down any north american game animal." If you try BH 209, start at 90 gr and work up by 5 gr increments to find what is most accurate. My elk load of 90 is roughtly equivalent to 103.5 gr of pyrodex or 777 pellets. 777 powder and BH 209 are roughly equivalent, but most give a slight edge to BH.

As far as your powder weight issue, not sure. However, as long as you believe your volume measure, it doesn't matter what the scale says, just make them all the same.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Do NOT shoot it out of an MK85! It is an open breech rifle and WILL launch the primer back into your face due to the high pressures BH209 produces. This powder should only be used in muzzle loaders with sealed breeches like the TC Omega, Encore, CVA Optima - Apex- Wolf and other style muzzle loaders like this.

www.FrontierMuzzleloadin.powerguild.net

Frontier is right on that, I was not aware of the MK85 breech/bolt system. BH 209 requires a closed type breech in most cases. Some have tried with others, but it is not recommended. The exception to that is some of the Knight rifles. I shoot a Knight LRH which has a bolt inline system, but can handle BH just fine.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Thanks Guy's, I appreciate your knowledge and advise. I'll keep loose FFg in the MK85 and try BH209 in my Omega.
Regards, Yak.

For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and armed militia is their best security.

Thomas Jefferson

I suggest as others have stated starting out with 80 grns BH and work your way up in your Omega. Each one is different. And I suggest going with Barnes TEZ 250's,very accurate and good out to 200+ yrds I'm using 100 grns and the 250 TMZ's ,but they are a bummer to load. I know a guy that uses 110 grns and 250 TEZ's and has dropped big boars at 300 yrds.And they will drop elk too!! Good Luck and Good Hunting!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom