BH209 cleaning question

regularjoe

For those of you shooting BH 209, what products are you using for cleaning? Everyone talks about Montana Extreme or Hoppe's for cleaning, however I have heard of no solid recommendation for oil. Some say bore butter, some say a ML oil (what's the difference between that and "normal" gun oil?), and I have even heard that no oil is necessary.

I have heard very good things about Montana extreme, but I still use Hoppes for now. Here is what is said about Hoppes:

"Perhaps the most universally used solvent for preventing rust and removing powder, lead and metal fouling. Quick, super-efficient, safe and easy to use. Flows freely and penetrates rapidly. A favorite with shooters throughout the world. Technical Information:
Removes lead, powder, plastic and copper fouling.

Leaves a rust preventative coating behind.

For use will all rifles, pistols and shotguns.

Ultra-potent, safe and easy to use.

A world wide favorite since 1903."

At this point, I use Hoppes to clean and protect my guns that I shoot 209 out of. I am currently not using any "oil" after Hoppes when I shoot with any frequency. However, when I am going to be putting the gun up at least a month for storage, I use Knights presoacked oil patches after a thorough cleaning.

I don't think I would even consider bore butter with 209. Maybe with the other substitutes that are water souble, but not 209, there is really no reason.

After several shooting sessions, I switch to Hoppes with copper solvent since I am shooting copper covered conicals.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I too use Hopes #9 for cleaning BH209. I have been using it for many decades on my CF guns to not trust it now. Where it shines the most is for powder fouling. It loosens the carbon build up and makes cleaning pretty easy.