Big 3

AZtrophyhunter

Hoyt, Mathews, Bowtech. I shot all 3 of them at lunch today & honestly I couldnt hardly tell a difference. I know the best advice is to shoot all 3 & pick which one feels best but there has to be something that seperates one from the other. What are some of your pro's & con's of each? Why did you buy the one you did? Opinions? I know this is mundane, but some of you on here are extremely knowledgeable & would appreciate your advice. When it comes to spending my hard earned cash I want to make the most of it. Thanks!!!

I like the matthews line. I know hoyts are great and bowtech too. You really can't go wrong just pick one and get shooting.

Okay, here goes.

Bowtech has had a problem with cam lean on a lot of their bows. This can cause excessive cable wear and problems with string travel. There has also been some controversy on how much pressure their limbs are under to get the speeds they get, thus they have had a (minor)problem with some limbs exploding or "blowing up". That being said, these problems have not seemed to affect he overall accuracy or happiness of most Bowtech owners, they are mostly very pleased with what they have.

Hoyt has really switched things up going to the Trykon line. These bows can seem heavy and awkward sometimes, as well as being top heavy when shooting. I have heard good and bad about them eating the cables and having to replace the factory strings within 500 shots.

Mathews is the only one that hasn't switched to some kind of 1 1/2 cam system. This keeps the timing very simple and is probably the easiest to keep in tune over the years. That being said, most Mathews owners that I know have been snobs. I don't want to offend anyone and this isn't meant to be an attack on anyone, I am sure there are good people who own a Mathews.

With that said, I own a Hoyt. I have had problems getting the timing right by twisting the cables to get the cams timed, and then making sure the draw length is right. Requires putting the bow into the press a lot if you are new to this. I see the same things happening on the Bowtechs with a binary cam. With Mathews, you only have one string and one cable, not one string and two cables like you have with Hoyt and Bowtech.

Another issue sometimes is the wall, or drawstop. Do you like a hard wall or soft valley when you reach ful draw?

Then there is the speed issue, if speed is truly the issue! Go back to the shop and shoot all three through a chronograph yourself with the same arrow and see what the difference is.

I personally didn't like the way the Trykon "let down" after having it at full draw, so that eliminated it. I didn't like the problems with limbs and cam lean that Bowtech has had. I didn't like the price of the Mathews being over a hundred dollars more expensive. I bought a used Hoyt!

Good Luck to you.

i agree with what 3d says but the one thing iam noticing since i have purchased my switchback xt is that every bow i shoot now has alot of vibrations in it,,, i never noticed this before but since shooting the mathews for the last 3 months i really notice it inow,,, but buddy bought a bowtech allegiance and it is really fast and not too loud and has minimal vibrations,,, the down side is that it feels like youre pulling back 85 lbs at 70 lbs,,,,but it is fast and i suppose you could get used to it or shoot lower poundage,,,,,cbryant

>I personally didn't like the way
>the Trykon "let down" after
>having it at full draw,
>so that eliminated it.

Let down is being nice.... rip your arm off is a better analogy. :) I don't like the hard wall, but even with all of that said, I really like the Trykon. It's smooth and a dream to shoot.

ODDNUT1
Kirt C.
Hunt Odds.com

3D, what is "cam lean"? The guy I spoke with at the archery shop today said that the limb problems with Bowtech was just a rumor. He said since they've had Bowtech he's only had one person bust a limb. As far as the Binary cam system, which Bowtech bows have this? Does the Allegiance & Tribute?(ones I'm interested in) I like Bowtech because of the FPS. But like you said, how fast does it really need to be!

Another question, you said, "Do you like a hard wall or soft valley when you reach full draw?" Are you just referring to let off? I'm not sure what hard wall or soft valley means. I've been shooting a bow since I was dang near 8 yrs old, you'd think I'd know the lingo by now! Thanks again, more questions to follow. :)

smart way is to find someone who already made the mistakes and bought the wrong one for them which may be the right one for you. check the classified ads on these kind of websites and save yourself some money.

I shot all three also. Hoyt's didn't feel right for me, the vibrated a little, and didn't feel like they had "balance". The only Bowtech I shot was the Tribute and the draw cycle was very harsh......don't know what mods were in there though.
With that said, I bought the Switchback and absolutly LOVE IT!
But you are the only one that can decide what's right for you.
Good luck.

Lien2

All of the Bowtech bows have the Binary cams. Your dealer is trying to sell you a bow, they have had problems with limbs. The cam lean that was mentioned is also a very real problem. The lean exixsts when the bow is at full draw, usually not at rest. Cam lean refers to the cams not being parallel to the limbs. This creats a problem when the bow is fired as it does not track straight through the cams and the cam cycle, but instead goes off to the side somewhat. The reason that they have this problem is because they do not have a split yoke system which allows you to eliminate cam lean through fine tuning, by twisting one side or the other. You will notice that every other cam system on the market has a split yoke system which allows tuning, except Bowtech. I have shot a few Bowtechs with the Binary cams and they are smooth, but I have my doubts about their accuracy long term. Cam lean WILL cause the bushings to wear out prematurely.

The new Trykons are supposed to be good shooters but a few friends of mine who are hard core Hoyt fans are shooting their old Ultra Techs because they are lighter and draw easier.

I have shot Mathews for quite a while, I currently shoot an LX. Once the string stretches in they are a fairly trouble free shooter. You could eliminate this step by buying a good after market string.

A hard wall means that when you reach full draw the bow reaches a VERY definate stop. I prefer a very hard wall myself as I feel that it is inherantly more accurate and aims better. Pull back a few different bows and focus on the feel of each bow at full draw, you will figure out which one you like pretty quickly.

I shot all three and all are comperable. I don't know which one has "cam lean" or which has better "let down". I shot these three brands and others before I bought a Mathews. I liked the feel of the Mathews and Bowtech. Hoyt didn't feel good in my hand at all. I chose the Mathews over the Bowtech because it felt smoother on the draw and I liked the sound it made when I shot compared to the others. I'm not saying any were loud, I just liked it better.

Bottom line. You can't go wrong with either, just pick one and be happy you are out shooting!

I suppose you could find a problem with them all sooner or later, otherwise the companys' would remake the same bow with same name with just a different camo sheme, but they don't . Every year all companys come out with what they proclaim is the best yet to date, its business in the retail world I'd assume. With that said , I'm shooting a bow tech liberty vft.Its the best bow I've ever had, I also have a PSE firestorm lite and recently sold a buckmasters g2 which was actaully a great bow and regret selling it.My buddies shoot them all , some mathews , hoyt and bow tech shooters, its kind of like the old ford vs. chevy vs. dodge deal.Which girl is prettier eh , guess it all depends on whos lookin.Whith the bows you've looked at , you can't go wrong , shoot them again, maybe watch someone else shoot em , and then pick your poison.Your headed in the right direction with all those bows, good luck...

So far I like the Bowtech, either that or the SB XT. The FPS on the bowtech is awesome & very attractive. I'm not gonna get carried away though, I think I'll wait until they come out with some new models so I'm not left wishing I had waited. I've heard Bowtech has some cool stuff in the works. I love it though, this is one of the best parts of archery. Choosing your weapon, sighting it in, tinkering with as much as you can to get the best accuracy. How in the hell did I get so addicted?

I just bought a Bowtech Old Glory and love it. I was shooting a Hoyt Magnatech until I took the OG for a spin. I am pulling 64 1/2 lbs with 27" draw and shooting carbon express maxima arrows with 100 grain field tips and 100 grain montec G5's. After paper tuning, I'm shooting 273 fps. At 20 yards I'm shooting 1" groups. At 30 yds I'm consistently shooting 3" groups so the OG really has the acuracy and feel that I was looking for. That's my 2 cents.

I'm like AZtrophyhunter too. I'm having a hard time telling the difference. I shot the Tribute recently and liked it.

How about the single cam Diamond bows built by Bowtech? I shot a Liberty and liked it fine also.

Anybody have good or bad to say about Diamond? Thanks.

I WILL have a compound bow by next season.

Parker makes one that's 333 FPS! But there are none locally to shoot. (darn). But I'm convinced that speed isn't everything.

Steve

Do not forget Ross,bearings on the axles,only Bowtech can claim that,all others use bushings.Winners choice strings and cables,Sims limbsavers ,all stock.Do not limit yourself to the BIG "3".Archery research also makes a awsome bow.Especialy pull back a Ross,you will be impressed

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom