Big Bulls in Unit 29

elkcaller208

I drew this tag this year and have hunted the first 4 days only one thing comes to mind,Where are all the decent(300+)Bulls?A few years ago this hunt had great opportunity for a guy to harvest a 340 Bull ,now it seems 300 is pushing it.I think it has been over harvested for about 6 years and is really starting to show.Any thoughts?

The number of permits has been reduced (in 2007) to address this. It still is a quality unit. I think the snowpack and quality of the groceries impacts antler growth. Let's hope for a 150% snow year.

I have spent my entire life hunting that unit and would agree that the number and quality of bulls has decreased drasticaly in the last 10 yrs. There are still some really nice bulls in the unit but they are hard to find. Archery hunting pressure along with the increased number of rifle bull tags has taken it's toll on the unit. It's a shame, because I've seen what the genetics can produce there. 10 years ago it was not uncomen to see a 375 inch bull. Now you should pull the trigger if you are given the oprtunity at a 300 inch bull.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom