Big Cottonwood Canyon

FamilyMan

Very Active Member
One of my sons is living temporarily in SLC. Will be bringing the rest of the family down from Montana to visit him this weekend (Thursday through Sunday). My wife got us a place to stay that belongs to a friend of a friend up in Big Cottonwood Canyon. Looking on the net for fun outdoor things to do in that area. Family would be up for an easy hike or two, and I came across Donut Falls Trail and Brighton Lakes Trail - will probably do each of these. Any comments or things I should know??

Also was reading about the drive up to Guardsman Pass. Would you expect this pass to still be open this time of year?

Any other thoughts you might have for this area would also be appreciated.

Mark
muledeer.jpg

My hunting spot is so secret, not even the elk have found it yet.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-16-12 AT 09:37PM (MST)[p]If you're going to be out in the hills, be aware that Saturday is the opening day of the general rifle hunt for deer.

Be safe!

These are very popular trails and are usually crowded on the weekends. They are both pretty easy for kids over 3. Hunters wont be an issue. The lake up by brighton has trout and is a good place to let the kids fish, and there are often moose around.

The main thing about Big Cottonwood canyon you may not know is that there are no dogs allowed in that canyon. Just incase you planned on bringing one.

Hi Mark. The hike up to Donut Falls is real fun for kids. pretty easy. Good idea to wear waterproof shoes like, Crocs, or similar.
Have a good time.

Thanks all. I called the highway department and they told me Guardsman Pass Road is still open and they usually try to keep it open until the end of hunting season if possible we will will explore that drive as well.

Thanks.

Mark
muledeer.jpg

Take a drive over Guardsmans and come down in to Midway. There is a great mexican joint on the East end of town for lunch or diner. The drive is nice too, you might see some moose and or elk.

Traditional >>>------->

I was curious if you did the donut falls hike? That cavern is amazing. Very cool how the water comes into the "donut" and out the cave. Did you go up to the donut?

No, we didn't make it to the donut hike. Instead we did the hike to Mary Lake, which was mostly empty so a little disapointing. We also drove over Guardsmans Pass to Midway and on to Heber. This was a beautiful drive and reminded me a lot of western Coloraodo where we used to live. Great county you all have there.

Mark
muledeer.jpg

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom