Big horn sheep on Vernon?

J

JREDBUCK

We went out scouting for deer on the Vernon earlier this week an low and behold we glassed up two rocky sheep. Two 5-6 year old rams. Has anyone seen or heard of them being out there? I would have never guessed it. We do have video as well. My guess is they had to come from the stansbury range. That is what keeps us hiking the hills you never know what you are going to find.

Jred,

I feel better now! Two years ago on a hunt out there, I could have swore I caught a glimps of a nice ram, my kid told me to lay off the Crown. Only seen him for a couple seconds through the spotter.....

-mtngoat

I hope they aren't out there. They winter domestic sheep on the Vernon during the winter.

Take out more than you brought in!

Bad mix! That's how Custer Park, SD lost a big percentage of it's BigHorns over in the Black Hills several years ago from pneumonia they caught from domestic sheep to the south!

LAST EDITED ON Jul-10-11 AT 11:51AM (MST)[p]Ya, how many Bighorns has the Monatana FWP put down due to that in the past year? If they are going to wipe out a heard to save the bigger herd....why don't they just let me go out and put the hammer down?

"That's a special feeling, Lloyd"

Oh great! Now everyone knows my secret bighorn area! LOL

I have never seen them there but did receive a call from 300ultramag to inform me of your sightings. Cool deal except for the domestic sheep contact. Might be a really bad thing rather than a good thing. Time will tell.

Did you make a contact to the UT F&G? They should be made aware of their location.

Zeke

LAST EDITED ON Jul-11-11 AT 09:59AM (MST)[p]I also heard the Bighorn report from 300ultramag and it pretty much makes me sick because of the possible domestic sheep contact.
I spent several days hunting with the two permit holders on the Stansbury range last fall, and there are a ton of 5-6 year old rams on that unit. It is showing some great promise for several future permits. But it only takes one stray to bring back the disease and then the whole group is in trouble.
Definitely report it to the DWR. I am not sure they will do anything about it, but hopefully someone will find a way to head off disaster to another fine sheep herd!
By the way, I just sent Ryan Foutz an email about the sighting. He is President of UFNAWS. Perhaps they can do something to help avoid another die-off.

I heard of a sighting out there two years ago but kind of blew it off. I also heard from the biologist that 3 rams were spotted near Johnson pass last summer and 2 rams were hanging out South of Stockton two years ago(which were put down by the DWR). I wouldn't be surprised to know that there's sheep on the West side of the Onaqui range too. If the F&G finds the sheep on the Vernon unit, they will kill them! With the bigger picture in mind, Two or three sheep put down is better than loosing hundreds.
Also, did you guys notice any colored ear tags? I'm guessing they did not have collars.

If the F&G doesn't want them there, then I would think they should allow a couple licensed hunters to take them.

+1 Mr Topgun.
Most F&G depts don't trust the hunters to get the job done. In every case where animals need to be eliminated they do it themselves. There might be a case or two where hunters were involved but in all my years I have not heard of a single one.
Zeke

That's about right Zeke! The only one I'm aware of is when the Feds let people apply for the elk reduction in the Park on the west side of North Dakota last year. However, with all the restrictions they put on the hunt, including taking you out and telling you which cow to shoot, it didn't sound like something I would have wanted to be involved with.

Jred chances are that biologist wont call you back. He is about worthless I tried to pump him for info a couple years ago and he couldnt tell me a single thing I didnt already know. I thought he was a real flake his name is tom

Last year after leaving him a message, Tom would get back with me a few weeks later when I was talking to him about the Stansbury sheep. I would guess the DWR would be very interested in this report.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom