Big MT Whitetail - I think?

BigFin

LAST EDITED ON Oct-23-07 AT 09:09AM (MST)[p]Well, I am just back from my days hunt. Too sick to hunt yesterday, opening day.

Decided to take a friend over to a ranch and shoot some whitetail does. Hoped to find one of the big whitetails I has seen in archery season, but since I had a limited entry mule deer buck tag, a whitetail buck was low on the priority list.

At least, until this guy showed up.

471e0d6a3e22021b.jpg

Here is the quick story.

I asked a friend to join me, Bernie. He is suffering from a hip replacement surgery gone bad, and can barely walk, and does so painfully and with the aid of a cane.

The plan was for me to push a brushy creek bottom to him. The first push was a small stretch of creek, so I didn't even bring my rifle, not wanting to ease Bernie out of any shooting. Dumb, I know, but true.

On the edge of the last patch of brush, I see this big guy laying down looking towards me at a little over 100 yards. Not having my rifle, I did my best to push the buck to Bernie.

The plan worked great. The buck ran past Bernie at 125 yards, stopping in the only place where a farm building would be in the background, so Bernie held off. I admire his restraint and commitment to safety.

We pushed the patch of creek where we saw this buck had ran to, but did not see him there. We figured that our one chance had come and gone.

We went back to our first spot and pushed for some more does a few hours later. This time I took my rifle, on the off chance I saw another shooter buck.

I dropped Bernie at the stand and made the big loop again. As I neared the same patch of brush from where I flushed the big buck this morning, this big guy was bedded in the exact same spot, looking at me. I circled east, hoping I would again push the buck past Bernie. The buck watched me at 100 yards.

This time when he ran, he did not go towards Bernie. He ran straight west, across an alfalfa field. Half way across, he stopped to look back. Bad idea big guy.

I dropped the bipod, pulled the trigger, and "popped his last balloon."

I thought I would provide a couple extra pictures to show the unique character to his rack. He is a big 6 X 7.

He has a pretty good body size for most the bucks I have seen in this area.

471e0e6142c4ea08.jpg

Check out the crazy shape of the G2 on the passenger side.

471e0db53f750bd7.jpg

His neck is quite swollen, though the rut is not yet going. He did have a bunch of really big rubs in the creek bottom, commensurate with his antler size.

471e0e9543930051.jpg

So, I guess I won't be filling my limited entry mule deer buck tag this year, even though Spitz and Greenhorn have been spotting for me. Just couldn't pass on this guy.

My deer season is done until next month when I head to AZ for my "strip" deer tag.

In the mean time, I guess I will have to take my son over and see what he can find in the creek bottoms.

"Hunt when you can - You're gonna' run out of health before you run out of money!"

Im with you... I'd drop him in heart beat. Great buck!! What strip tag did you draw? I hope you have the same outcome out here in AZ. Good Luck.

Nice Pictures. That is good looking Buck.
Looks like those Western Deer are Big Bodied.
How much that Critter weigh?

LAST EDITED ON Oct-23-07 AT 06:15PM (MST)[p]TK:

I am not sure what he weighed. I took him to the taxi to be caped before I could get him on my scale. I weigh all my deer on a 300# scale. Having weighed lots of them, I would estimate his dressed weight at 160#-170#.

I have weighed many other deer that people claimed to be 200# and they dressed at or below 165#. Two guys at the gas station saw this buck and told me he would dress at least 200#. No way, but I didn't tell them that. His body was big, but not like some of the brutes in other parts of the whitetail range.

My dad helped run a big buck (by weight) contest in my old home town in Northern MN. The biggest deer he ever weighed dressed at over 270# and I think it looked more like a cow elk than a deer. In that country, in other midwest states, and Canada, 200# dressed weights occur with some regularity. I have yet to see a 200# dressed whitetail in MT, though I am sure some exist in the northern and NW part of the state.

Still a big bodied whitey for this area.

AZ Bulls:

My strip tag is for 13A.

Happy Hunting!

"Hunt when you can - You're gonna' run out of health before you run out of money!"

Congrats on a Great buck, I wouldn't pass up that big boy!

what part of Minnesota are you from?
I grew up just south of Grand Rapids hunting whitetails.

Mntman

Mntman:

Thanks.

I grew up just north of you about 85 miles - Big Falls. No one knows where that is, even some of the people who live there. It is 40 miles south of Int'l Falls and 70 miles north of Bemidji.

Hope you have a great season.

I know the area, used to fish muskies up on the big fork river and crappies on upper Red lake. Also used to run our snowmobiles from a friends cabin up there. Just to the west of you is a great area for deer, almost always hit one on the way up to L.O.T.W.

Mntman

Fine buck congrats but you need to work on that smile. hehehe Looks like you had fun. Thx for the pics and the smile :)

Yessir, THAT is a VERY good whitey. Congratulations. I used to live/hunt near Bozangeles, and do miss it somedays.

Very cool rack with some real character. I like the mass!

Shortside

BigFin,
Talk about a dandy Whitetail, I only hope to hang a tag on a monster like that when I head to Unit 1 in Idaho next Tuesday.
Reed

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Whitetail Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Whitetail Pros Guide Service

Southern Iowa and Missouri Private Land Whitetail Hunts. Rifle, Archery, Muzzleloader.

Antler Creek Whitetails

Archery hunt in Northeast Kansas. Rut and pre-rut, hunting from treestands and blinds.

Back
Top Bottom