Winter herds

Deercy

I spent the weekend out looking at my precious animals in my favorite area. South slopes are clear, and even some green showing up on the sage. Deer and elk in abundance, looking very healthy. It seemed everywhere I went there was more animals. Very widely dispersed. I was not unimpressed. Saw very few horns. 2 bucks and some spikes and raghorns still carrying. I did see a guy with a bunch of sheds in the back of his truck. (Not me). Maybe he has a big piece of private?

This was about as ideal of a winter as you could have for our herds especially after last years winter. We saw enough snow that will fill reservoirs and replenish moisture content on the landscape, and also saw enough breaks between storms to melt off south facing slopes and lower elevations, while also never seeing a significant or long cold snap. This was a winter of having our cake and eating it too. Winter survival should be great in Utah this year, with ample moisture for antler growth, and offspring rearing. Should be a great fall. Hopefully we can get some rain along the way this spring and summer too.

Probably 20-30 bucks on my place still packing. All deer look healthy and based on my counts 2 fawns to three does on my place. Been around 150 does, 75-100 fawns and 50+ bucks hanging here and ZERO fatalities!!!
I fed all last winter and that really helped the fawn mortality.

Probably 20-30 bucks on my place still packing. All deer look healthy and based on my counts 2 fawns to three does on my place. Been around 150 does, 75-100 fawns and 50+ bucks hanging here and ZERO fatalities!!!
I fed all last winter and that really helped the fawn mortality.
Where is this?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom