Big?muley?on?goat?hunt

shoot

55658nm819ant016.jpg

42731nm819ant018.jpg

73105nm819ant021.jpg

27698nm819ant2182.jpg

I don't usually post "visit often" but I thought this one needed to be shared. Day three of scouting for our hunt we seen this buck and I was just aw struck. He stayed put while I glassed him. When I went for the camera he made a move. A couple of barks stopped him for the picks. In twenty years of hunting NM as a NR this is the biggest buck I come across. It just happen to be my birthday. It made my day along side of being out there hunting with my kids. We did not see a lot of big antelope, but had no problem tagging out. I have previously drawn ranch only tags. Unit wide was different. Playing on the checker board. I did see one exceptional goat on state land two days in a row scouting. However on the hunt he could not be found and the state land was posted. Perhaps it was a good thing he was not there. I don't know? We went to the back up plan and tagged this buck nice and clean. Good times!
Good luck to all this season.
?

>Monster buck!
>
>BTW what do you mean "the
>State land was posted"?
>
>Carl

I use x maps on my Garmin, along with BLM paper maps. In this particular area "clearly in the blue" was posted no trespassing, hunting, fishing.

>>Monster buck!
>>
>>BTW what do you mean "the
>>State land was posted"?
>>
>>Carl
>
>
>I use x maps on my
>Garmin, along with BLM paper
>maps. In this particular area
>"clearly in the blue" was
>posted no trespassing, hunting, fishing.
>

If I'm not mistaken you can hunt on state land with a current license? If I am please correct me. Just the way I understood it

>>>Monster buck!
>>>
>>>BTW what do you mean "the
>>>State land was posted"?
>>>
>>>Carl
>>
>>
>>I use x maps on my
>>Garmin, along with BLM paper
>>maps. In this particular area
>>"clearly in the blue" was
>>posted no trespassing, hunting, fishing.
>>
>
>
>If I'm not mistaken you can
>hunt on state land with
>a current license? If I
>am please correct me. Just
>the way I understood it
>

You're absolutely right.
As long as you don't cross any private property to get there. If you do you must have written permission.

It is not entirely true that you/we can hunt any State Land. Most is part of the agreement with NMDGF to be open for hunting, but there are some areas that are not. Without checking with the State Land Office I'm not sure how to tell if a particular State Land area is closed.

OnX maps has a layer for lands withdrawn from hunting that includes particular State Land parcels. Sometimes it's due to an access exchange, sometimes it's due to the activities on the particular property.

You'd have to check directly with the SLO (they may also have online mapping) to be sure.

Carl

>>>>Monster buck!
>>>>
>>>>BTW what do you mean "the
>>>>State land was posted"?
>>>>
>>>>Carl
>>>
>>>
>>>I use x maps on my
>>>Garmin, along with BLM paper
>>>maps. In this particular area
>>>"clearly in the blue" was
>>>posted no trespassing, hunting, fishing.
>>>
>>
>>
>>If I'm not mistaken you can
>>hunt on state land with
>>a current license? If I
>>am please correct me. Just
>>the way I understood it
>>
>
>You're absolutely right.
>As long as you don't cross
>any private property to get
>there. If you do you
>must have written permission.

Carl

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom