Big Ram Down!

elkz

Here is my 2013 public land opening day Barbary sheep. It started out we were hunting an area that was crawling with hunters. It seemed like there were a couple on each ridge. After about an hour of walking and glassing my buddy dominic glassed up this guy about 3/4 of a mile away. There were a couple of small ridges between us and him so we gave it an angle and jogged as fast as we could go through the desert. We get to the spot where we last saw him and he is no where to be found, only three other hunters. We worked around the hill glassing, and once again dominic spotted him another 3/4 of a mile away. We picked a draw to head towards and here we go again jogging through the desert. We get to the ridge where we saw him and dominic glasses him up again right in the draw we were heading towards. This time we had cut the distance to about half a mile. We continue to run. At about 800 yards out or so I decide I had to slow down and walk to slow down the breathing and have a chance at a good shot. We make it to 350 yards and dominic holds up to see if he comes out of the draw while I drop down a little depression to put a stalk on him in the brush we last saw him in. He comes out of the draw and I get on the sticks to set up for the shot. He paused at a tall fence he was about to jump and I knew I had to shoot then or never. He was looking almost straight away from me but turned just a little to give me a quartering away shot. I shoot and he jumps the fence, and I think did I rush the shot? I get on him in the scope again just in time to see him drop about 30 yards past the fence.

I was thrilled when I walked up on him. There was not a bit of ground shrinkage on this guy. It is my first ram and he is a good one at that. He is 27.5 inches on one side and 26.5 on the other. After a bunch of photos and getting him cleaned up we make the 3 to 3.5 mile hike out of there loaded down, but sure excited to have a nice animal on my back. A big thanks to dominic for help making this dream happen. It has taken me somewhere around 25 days over four years covering tons of country to find my first ram. I couldn't be happier with him.

7686barbary_zebb_2013_004.jpg

2562barbary_zebb_2013_019.jpg

674barbary_cropped_040.jpg

Nice ram dude!!! Congrats. Very, very jealous. I'll be chasing them in a few weeks.

Man, I love the curl on that sheep. I would have guessed 30. Congrats! Nothing feels better than finally getting your trophy after pursuing them that long!

Travis

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom