Big Utah Extended Archery Buck

broadfork

I thught would post this for my friend Rick. He hit this buck on Wednesday aftrnoon. He blood triled him for a couple hours, only to jump him twice. We thought it was best to back out till morning, and resume the trail. Well we got on the track, and that smart old buck doubled bck on us. It wasn't a fatal hit, and we ended up jumping the buck again. Talk about devistated. Rick was beside himself. To his credit he never gave up. We looked for the most likely area for the buck to go. Sure enough yesterday they found him, and finished the job. Big congrats on not giving up, or shooting another deer. That was his buck, and he got the job done.
8649img_9346.jpg

8699img_9347.jpg

3449img_9350.jpg

He killed his buck in the same area as my buck, one week apart. Here's the two together
8390img_9359.jpg

Just so there isn't any confusion, We moved the deer to take pictures. We wanted good photo's.
1716img_9363.jpg

Congrats to both of you! Those are nice.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer? See Zeke for prime example....

sweet buck man. what ever happened to that 2 point your buddy shot earlier in the morning? post a picture of that guy too please. Im the guy in the subaru from the morning hunt. And this doesnt look like the same area that we where in in the morning. But the buck that you killed a week ago sure did. Congrates on all tagging out.

huskyhunter25

I don't have any pictures on the computer of the little buck my friend killed. It took some time to finish him. He ended up bedding right next to a homeowners driveway. My friend got permission from him to finish the job, and killed him from the pavement. anticlimatic, but a good ending none the less. We moved Rick's buck to Pleasant Grove to take pictures. I wasn't with him, and we wanted both buck's in the pic's.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-20-12 AT 08:50AM (MST)[p]Moved the buck to Utah County to take pictures? The mountains on the extended unit not pretty enough or something... That just seems odd that you'd move it that far for pics. Something doesn't smell right. That's on the G mountain in PG, and based on where it's at, it looks like you hauled it up the hill aways from the parking lot at battle creek...So if I am understanding this right, you shot the buck on the extended, probably someplace near a road based on the fact the deer is still 'intact', moved him to Utah County, hauled him up a mountain just to take 'field photos'....

I'll edit, and say this just so I don't come across as an @$$, those are some great bucks, and congrats on harvesting them. I just think maybe a little more clarity would help. If you shot it near someones yard, that would make sense as to why it wasn't field dressed. Hell, I wouldn't field dress a deer in my own backyard, let alone someone else. I just think maybe if some of the holes were filled in as to how/why the buck got from A to B we'd be in good shape.

Why would you take a buck 1 hour south...without field dressing it? I agree Ozzman, something is up here. Why would you drag an animal off the mountain without proper care, then load it up and drive an hour south, then drag it uphill just to take a picture.
Then to top it off, rigor mortise hasn't set in on this deer.
The way you are moving his head and holding him, if you really had taken him an hour south, he would be stiff.
I'm calling bull****

"I have a bad feeling about this"

This is going to turn ugly. Even if the hunter did excatly what he said he did, there is already questioning.

Best of luck.

Couple of nice bucks...

You know, people do weird stuff for the internet all the time these days... Like, say they loaded up a buck and moved it somewhere for field photos, and it was obvious there was no tag on the antlers.

In the future, just make sure everything is "kosher" before telling a story and posting pictures. A tagged antler never ruins a photo. And we dont care how scenic the background is... Field photos are only cool if they are real...

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

LAST EDITED ON Nov-20-12 AT 12:39PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Nov-20-12 AT 12:27?PM (MST)

"Why would you take a buck 1 hour south...without field dressing it? I agree Ozzman, something is up here. Why would you drag an animal off the mountain without proper care, then load it up and drive an hour south, then drag it uphill just to take a picture.
Then to top it off, rigor mortise hasn't set in on this deer.
The way you are moving his head and holding him, if you really had taken him an hour south, he would be stiff.
I'm calling bull****"

There are a lot of areas on the front where deer can die down low next to houses giving you no good spot to spill the guts. I am guessing that is what happened here, the buck probably died near a road/house and they had to load him up to gut him somewhere else. PG might be on the dudes way home? Also not to hard to take a tag off the horns for pictures and put back on. I think you can still move a deers neck a few degrees after rigor as well.

Anyway nice bucks guys, both bigger than all the bucks I have seen on the front this year.

i have transported more than one animal to a spot i thought would be cool to get a pic of, hell most kaibab and strip buck and paunsagaunt bucks get moved to take advantage of the cool backdrops. put away your CSI kits and enjoy the pics of a nice buck

How to start an argument online:
1. Express an opinion
2. Wait

LAST EDITED ON Nov-20-12 AT 01:17PM (MST)[p]People move harvested animals all the time for a photo shoot....Look 90% of Mossbacks deer he takes on the Paunsagaunt. Most photos are all taken with the same White Cliffs in the background...I know he isn't moving the deer an hour but is still transporting them several miles without field dressing them. The deer in question here wasn't shot up off of Victory Road just North of the State Capital was it....I saw a black Subaru parked up there and a guy with blood all over him

There is more to this story...You can't hide anything on the front...why don't you let everyone know how it really all went down. It seems that you have conveniently left out some details that give bowhunters on the front a bad name... Sharpen your story before someone calls your bluff again in the future!! BTW they really are awesome bucks!

I may be mistaken, but it looks gutted to me. Notice the shallow indent in the flank area. Looks like a clean small cut gut job to me. As for the family jewels still hangin'....that's what your are supposed to do right, leave evidence of sex? I've always understood that antlers aren't proof enough. Let me check the regs real quick....

LAST EDITED ON Nov-20-12 AT 02:38PM (MST)[p]....I guess the antlers/head is enough proof.

Transporting big game
within Utah
Utah Admin. Rule R657-5-18
You must obey the following rules to transport
big game in Utah:
? The head or sex organs of the animal you've
taken must remain attached to the largest
portion of its carcass.
? If you take an elk on a spike bull unit, the
antlers must remain attached to the animal?s
skull plate, and you must transport the
skull plate and antlers with the carcass.
? You must accompany the carcass of any big
game animal you've harvested, and you
must have a valid permit that corresponds
to the tag that's attached to the carcass.
There is one exception to this rule: you may
transport a big game animal you did not take if
you obtain a shipping permit or a disposal receipt
from the Division, or you have a donation slip. You
may not donate big game in the field.

It seems you left out a major part of the story that your boy Rick wounded it and then instead of going after it like you should he called unified Police pushed it to the neighborhood so they would shoot it for him in the neighborhood.you guys give real hunters that do the extended hunt a bad name oh and it's not a good idea to shoot 2 points from the park pavement the photo of him packing out the buck with his Badlands 2200 pack is my favorite considering you guys scooped it up off the sidewalk after the police shot it for you. not trying to be lame but there is many of us that don't wanna lose the privilege of hunting the extended Wasatch Front.

WOW!! what the hell. My friend shot a nice buck on the extended archery unit near little Cottonwood canyon. We tracked it for two days. He then called The police to make sure it was kosher to kill the buck since it ran by the hiomes. They made the call to put the deer down so it did not go into traffic. Realhunter, I don't know you. I don't know what axe you have to grind but if you have a problem then talk to me like a man tough guy.
We thought it would make for better pictures to move the buck away from the million dollar homes. My camera was at my home in Pleasant Grove. That is why the buck's photo session took place on G mountain near battle creek. Good hell guy's
I wasn't on the mountain, when this all wen't down. I just posted pictures for him, because i thought you guy's might want to see a buck from the front. MY MISTAKE. Guess I'm another guy that know's not to post pictures here anymore

first of all if you read the message my beef is not with you you killed a great buck and the right way everybody's beef is with your friend Rick nobody saying they're not nice bucks. just saying tell the whole story that's all.

And away we go!!!

All of a sudden we get the real story from a brand new poster.

These are always interesting. You can't escape the Internet Police that's for sure

It was an unfortunate deal that the police felt they needed to finish the buck. My friend could have shot it, but thought the ethical thing to do was to call the police. We don't want to loose the right to hunt the front. Imagine if he had finished the buck in someone's yard. He made the right call by getting the police involved.
This site isn't a confessional booth. I did not feel like I needed to devuldge the details of the buck's final breath. It is a hell of a nice buck, and we worked hard to finish the job when the first shot failed. Take your hat's off to an excelent hunter that didn't give up. He didn't say "oh well, I'll just go shoot another." He tracked it, and got the job done.
Some guy's on here just can't help but try to tear other's down.

Your are right it was a tough spot to be in. We went and pushed that morning and the buck went down to the houses. A cop never pushed him. The hunter did the right thing. He tried division and could not get a hold of them, so then he tried pd and they came up. They were able to get ahold of the division and they thought it was best for them to put it down instead if the hunter. It was an unfortunate situation but it was absolutely the right thing and ethical thing to do. As far as moving the deer for pics who gives a crap if it was your deer wouldn't you want some sweet pictures. This in no way gives archery hunters a bad name. Everything was done by law and there was no trespassing no one was upset in the neighborhood because it was all done correctly. So give him congratulations on a great trophy and for doing the right thing instead of trampling through private property and causing havoc. Congrats Rick you deserve it. And FYI the cop was there and watched him tag the buck.

I'm going to post one more thing. The buck HAS a tag on it in every photo. It's under his hand. Look close and you can see the zip tie sticking out. This thread has really bothered me. This site has gone down hill for a while now. Everybody is trying to tear everyone else down. If you blow out someones candle, it doesnt make yours any brighter.
As far as giving hunter's a bad name. You guys are wrong! The treehuggers up there already don't like us. I have had several run-ins with them this year. Some flat out saying they don't want us around. Others just ignorant, and think we just shoot at movement, and ask if it's safe for them to hike there.
The only reason there is a hunt there in the first place, is because there are too many deer coming into the cities. So it makes sence to hunt those deer where they are.
Nobody cares about keeping the extended around more then Rick and I do. That's why we are polite to the people around. That's why he did the right thing by getting the police involoved. Some guys here need to quit spewing venom, and go make their own success. For those that gave kudo's, Thank you

broadfork, we appreciate you coming on and clarifying. I am glad you posted pics of the bucks, they are some dandys! Infact, when I saw the original post I didn't even notice the background or anything and was just envious of some awesome deer.

While I think your concern is valid, with peoples over-reaction and generalizations I think that there is also some merit to the concerns expressed. It is unfortunate that people tend to become overly critical from behind the keyboard, and it is one of the reasons I rarely post pictures or stories on here myself (not that I should let it stop me). But, I think, at least for me I just had some questions that I would've liked answered. I think if you go back and read my original post above, you'd see that they may be similar questions asked by many.

You said you loved the extended and would do what you could to preserve it, at least to the extent you could. I tip my cap to that, but also think that it merits the explanation as to why the deer was moved, etc... IMO, you guys did the right thing by getting the police involved, and I don't think that it takes away from the hunt one bit. Had you come out and said that in the original post it probably would've saved some of the criticism, and probably drawn more props around the harvest.

Now that I have a better idea of what happened, I will say congrats! Sounds like you guys earned some good critters on a hunt that I have yet to figure out. Keep hitting it hard, and keep posting up pics of these awesome critters you take!

Broadfork, For the record. I found the "real" story and issues involved A LOT more interesting and entertaining.

I also give you credit for telling exactly what happened.

Those are nice deer.

Ozzmans said:

"It is unfortunate that people tend to become overly critical from behind the keyboard, and it is one of the reasons I rarely post pictures or stories on here myself (not that I should let it stop me)"

You had the guts to write that after YOU started the question? Why not send the guy a PM? Your post IS the reason more and more people do not post here, anymore!

Solid point woodruffhunter... I thought I had acknowledged that perhaps I handled my original post poorly, but clearly I didn't do that well enough. I did go in and edit my original post, and gave them some props, and you're right I probably should have just not typed my reply in the first place.

At the end of the day, I wasn't looking to cause trouble, just looking to understand some things, and I represented myself poorly. Lesson learned.

But I do stand by my opinion that the whole story would've been nice up front. I just should have handled my approach differently.

i will repeat my comments from the other day....GREAT BUCKS....thanks for sharing them with us and letting us share in your success. their is no shame in your game.

How to start an argument online:
1. Express an opinion
2. Wait

Lol....what a bunch of crap...grown men cant simply congradulate another hunter, some members of this site continue to amaze me.

Wow..unbelievable. This site never ceases to amaze me. Heater and Rick congrats. Some guys on here need to get a life. Many solid hunters refuse to post pics anymore because of idiots that have to pick apart every picture and every story.

Funny thing is I know a lot of hunters across the Wasatch Front and surrounding areas and I NEVER see any of them making these posts. It is always the no name 2 posts wanna be's that question every one else instead of actually hunting themselves. Makes you wonder if half these jokers work for PITA and they are just trying to stir the pot. If they are it is OBVIOUSLY working.

Jason Yates
http://www.BasinArcheryShop.com
5% OFF to all MonsterMuleys.com Members!
Discount code = monstermuleys

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom