Bighorn find in Northern NV

B

BigFly

I was out hunting chukar a few weeks ago up north and my son found a real nice ram skull that looked to be about 6 months or so dead. My question is: Where can we find those meat beetles to get the rest of the rotting meat out of the inside of this skull?
He has checked the local taxi shops in Reno but has had no luck.
Here is a couple of pics.

9851justinram2.jpg

6559justinram3.jpg

Bigfly

495e731531222959.jpg

Bigfly, Fish and Game is very touchy about deadheads from sheep. You must take it to your local Fish and Game and they will check it out and plug it. I'm not sure of all of the technicalities but I don't want to see you get in any trouble. Good news is that they will usually let you keep it. Bad news is, not always.
On a good note, congrats on finding it. It looks to be a trophy. I'd sure like to find one myself. fatrooster.

Already contacted Winnemucca field office about the find. I'll need to bring it to them for inspection and fill out the finders form they require.

Bigfly

495e731531222959.jpg

Not a good idea to post pic of a deadhead, esp. a ram skull. Might have NDOW come calling to confiscate for investigation of how it died. Then it becomes evidence for an open investigation, which may never be closed? I've heard of this happening on road- killed buck deer and a deadhead bull elk. It's ok to possess sheds as far as I know,just not deadheads.

Did not see that you'd already contacted NDOW. They will set you straight on what the skinny is. Hope you get to keep the nice find!

They already said my son could keep it. That's why I'm asking for info on the meat beetles. Thanks though.

Bigfly

495e731531222959.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Jan-04-12 AT 11:31AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jan-04-12 AT 11:23?AM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Jan-04-12 AT 11:23?AM (MST)

You have to call Wade Hinckley. He is putting
out some of the best looking euros around! He is
the only taxi offering the new chemical dip. It
is the look of air brushing but cheaper. Here is a
sample, but he offers many graphics from camo
patterns to rattlesnake in any color imaginable. Go
by his shop and you will be impressed. If you like t
traditional, he offers an ultra-white competition euro.
He also used to do beetles, but found they come out
somewhat yellowish and required extra whitening.
His numbers are:
722-9233
424-2487

Tell him Tony sent you.

3886dip.jpg

Thanks Tony.
Wade has done work for me in the past and actually has a deer and elk of mine that I still have to pick up from him. I'll give him a call and see what he can do for my boy's limited budget.

Bigfly

495e731531222959.jpg

IMO, that skull is too far gone for beetles. They like the meat fresh. Personally I would soak the skull in water to rehydrate, and pull the scraps off. Then you may need to degrease and whiten to make the rest of the skull.

+1 Gudari.....soak it and scrape it off....you will need to get the sheaths off if they already have not slipped,soak and put in plastic bag for a couple weeks and the horns will pop off

nice find. you can also paint it yourself. i go to wal-mart and i but Flec-stone or stone in a can. you spray it on and it looks like a rock and the spray has a nice texture to it

...I can't even imagine how much dope I'd have to smoke to think that painted skull looked good...

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

>...I can't even imagine how much
>dope I'd have to smoke
>to think that painted skull
>looked good...
>
>
>JB
>
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

D13 you'd just need one hit if you get your dope from Mark P......ROTFLMAO

>...I can't even imagine how much
>dope I'd have to smoke
>to think that painted skull
>looked good...
>
>
>JB
>
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

I can't imagine why anyone would get on a public forum and make an idiot out of themselve's by insulting someone else's work! If you don't like it then keep your mouth shut. Sitting behind a keyboard makes some people sooo tough or knowledgeable. Like I mentioned, he has many styles and colors, that just happened to be the only one on my phone. Maybe when you grow up you could appreciate something someone else does or just keep your childish comments to yourself.

1340wade_1.jpg

7640wade_2.jpg

8375img_2676.jpg

Sorry guys but i too would NEVER put or recommend anything on a skull of mine other than maybe bleach. To me, painting or what have you, really takes away from the simplicity and elegance of the trophy. My $.02

Nice Find!!!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

longpoke, don't get so worked up. D13er never has anything good or worthwhile to say, just ignore him. he's a checkoff.

Those jaws are kool. The skulls aren't my cup of tea.

Sageadvice and Califelkslayer,

I am glad you both can word your opinions in a diplomatic adult way. I understand the dipping is not for everyone. I thought it was something unique and new, but not for everyone. D13's comment was just asinine. Why did smoking dope have to be brought into it. I just can't stand when people voice their opinions in a derogatory manner. I was raised to keep my mouth shut if I could not voice my opinion nicely.

There is a guy in Sparks Nevada, his name is Mitch Bailey. He has Beetle Bailey's skull works. All he does is euro skulls . He has a beetle colony that is impressive. He does a great job, and he will have it done quickly, and correctly. He has always done a great job for me! If you PM me, I'll give you his number.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom