Bighorn sheep mounts?

B

Bornforhorns

I killed a California but the size is more like a Rocky so if I could see some mounts of both it would help for me in making a decision.

Congrats on your ram.If I had one , I'd dang sure show you , but, well you know the story.lol

Just cuz it is a California Bighorn don't neccessarily mean it is small.
Look at this pig taken this year in BC.

Chris-Sheep2.jpg

Here's my Rocky from Colorado. He is a little more straight on than I really wanted but I still like him. Alpine Taxidermy in Hot Sulphur Springs, CO mounted him. Barry does great sheep!

Another fabulous sheep taxidermist is Dewayne Dewey in Cody, WY. It's called Dewey Wildlife Studios. This guy is fantastic and while he has never mounted a sheep for me, if I ever draw another tag, he may get to.

4790bb3f20a35abd.jpg

Nice sheep guys, thanks. I'm leaning towards a right turn and now I think I want it a little more than slight, with his head above his shoulders. I love the classic mount with sheep... it makes them look proud.

I would highly recommend a table pedestal mount! They are a lot more lifelike than a head on the wall and can add a lot of character to a den or trophy room. I'm not trying to take anything away from the mounts above but if I had a once in a lifetime ram I would consider doing something special with it. There are quite a few possibilities with pedestal mounts (adding rock, moss, etc). It is also possible to have a wall pedestal done with or without rocks, etc. Many of the pedestal mounts I've seen are almost like an art piece and really bring life back to the animal.

I would also suggest going with the best taxiderist you can afford. You usually get what you pay for. The last thing you want is having a ram mount that you are embarrassed showing off to your buddies! Good luck with whatever you choose.

I agree with the threads thus far that something special should be done. That is one heck of a ram. Thanks for doing a great story for our newsletter.

Glen

I'm using Buzzy of Olympic Taxidermy, I truly went off his reputation and I hope it's o.k. to use his name on here. In my conversations I thought he was a genuine guy and had the most experience with sheep of anybody around my area. I was impressed with what I seen in his shop on my last visit. I'm not looking for the cheapest but I do want to be reasonable, I'm not a huge fan of the rocks on the wall unless it's a full mount. You guys got me thinking now however, my cousin is an industrial arts teacher and just built one of the most beautiful pedestal mount/display cases I have ever seen. He talked about doing something for one of my mule deer, maybe I should consider it for my ram instead. Consider my den/office is just being built and is not very big (15'x 12') with two big windows but it's really cozy (sorry for using that word).

Thanks guys, and thank you Glen(sent you a pm). Sorry for being so long-winded with the story. The newsletter article will somehow be a part of the overall piece and I've got some other really cool ideas.

Here is another example of a California Bighorn. Pretty generic. I decided to keep the tag in his ear since that was a big part of how I identified this ram for a year and a half before I harvested him.

479aab245f7aa704.jpg

479aab035dbc49c5.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom