Bighorn Sheep Questions

Trophy_Taker

I am a non-resident trying to research the application process and New Mexico bighorn sheep hunting. Hopefully some of you can help me out.

I have concluded the following but is any of it incorrect?

I can put if for both Desert and Rocky Bighorn in the same year.

I will have to pay $3,180 for each totaling $6,360 at the time of application.

If I apply for both and am unsuccessful my refund would be $6,320.

There is no point system so everyone has the same chance of drawing.

I should list multiple hunt unit choices for RMB because it is possible to draw a unit that is not your first choice unit.

Listing multiple unit choices will not affect my refund amount.

I don't have to purchase any license, stamp, etc in order to put in for a hunt; I only have to pay the permit fee up front.

The following are questions I am looking for answers to:

If successful I would pay the $3,180 license fee but what other stamps, licenses, and such would I have to purchase and how much do they cost?

Are there years where no non-resident permits are issued for a species? If so do you know before you apply or do you just apply and are still out your application fee?

Can I hunt without a guide as a non-resident?

Do all units have public land so I wouldn't have to worry about sheep being on private property?

Are all units accessible for hunting from roads or are some units pack-in or wilderness type hunts?

What is the average size RMB and DBS harvested in NM?

How would you rank the units for trophy potential for each unit for RMB?

It seems the season dates are short compared to other states. Are the NM units easier hunts than most states or why the short season?

What are harvest success rates for sheep in NM?

It appears that only 1 DBS permit is available so how are resident odds increased over non-residents?

Pick up EBJ #64 (MAR/APR)when it comes out that will have the current info for the upcoming season. Or better yet, pony up $20 for a subscription and when you get a number you can get online and look at all their research, present and past. It will answer 95% of your questions here and is a small price to pay when making a $4000+ investment.

There is 3 zones for RMB Unit 53 Wheeler Peak,45 Pecos,
16B,22,24 Turkey creekNot to sure about Turkey Springs but there should be no private.Some tribal near Wheeler.

1 zone for DBH Unit 27 Penicillo Mtns.

Yes you can hunt without a guide.

Sheep are not on a quota so licenses could go all NR or RES or split.luck of the draw.

Only 1 fee of $3,168 plus app fee$20.I think it changed this year from $27 You can put RMB&DBH on same app.

$9 additinal in stamps if you draw.

53 seems to produce bigger rams

Cant speak for the southern units but 45&53 are pack in hunts

You will get your money back except App fee if unsuccesful

I would say very high success rate.

You may apply for RMB and DBS, but it must be on the same application. You may not apply with separate applications. The success rates are very high, I would call and ask for Eric Rominger, the NM bighorn biologist with any questions about quality and quantity of animals for a particular area. Good luck applying!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom