Bighorn sheep transplanted from Antelope Island

Awesome... The article says that 30 are targeted for release. Anyone by chance know the male to female ratios?

Glad to hear that money is going where it is suppose to. Good Job Utah FNAWS and sfw.

Tallbuck1

Definetly good to see they are trying to establish new sheep and goat ranges...hopefully more tags in the future.

tallbuck1,
My son is helping with the captures as we speak. Generally, they like to take mostly females and young rams. I am guessing the ratio is at least 2 to 1, but I am not sure. I will ask him tonight when they finish. They only got 16 animals yesterday and they are trying to get 30.
It's my understanding that a sheep herd needs a chance to "settle in" and grow before they will be well established. That means hunting them is several years down the road. That is especially true for sheep. They don't do well at all if herd numbers drop below 100.
Here's hoping that we can get another good herd going in the Beehive State!

A huge thanks to those involved for making this happen.

It was great to see that LBH's son is involved in the project. He's a good man.

Chances are about 100% that I will never hunt them yet I couldn't think of a better project than putting sheep into another area!

I hope the sheep do better than the Timp herd.

Well done to all involved!
Zeke

Thanks Zeke,
As an update, they were weathered out today so they will have to finish up later in the month.
So far, they have taken 9 ewes and 3 rams. That is a 3 to 1 ratio.
Pretty exciting to think about another herd. Especially for the younger generation. When Zeke and I were young, there were no sheep opportunities in this state.

LB
When Zeke and you were young..you could hunt buffalo from a moving train. Do not complain about no sheep to the rest of us.
You guys could shoot Elk on the plains. :)

Here is a picture of one of the rams that was released. My good friend took the picture. I was home in bed with strep.

3095image.jpg

>LB
>When Zeke and you were young..you
>could hunt buffalo from a
>moving train. Do not complain
>about no sheep to the
>rest of us.
>You guys could shoot Elk on
>the plains. :)

Mike, you son of a ......

Well, I guess I can't argue with ya there! Lol

The part about ZERO sheep opportunities is true. The younger guys seem to assume we've always had lots of sheep. Many dedicated professionals and donated labor (and money) were required to achieve our current number of sheep. We have those guys to thank for what we have today.

Zeke

Zeke,
I love ya brotha! I like teasing you also.
I hear ya, when I was younger there were really no elk opportunities in Utah, no sheep tags at all!
Idaho had very few elk, and very very few sheep tags.
Things have improved for some big game species for sure.

Wow Mike,
Your comment took my cane right out from under me.
But I'll get back up as soon as help comes along.
Your version of the past is way less faded than mine. None-the-less, we do have way more things to hunt than we used to!

Side note: when transplanting sheep they don't like to take too many older rams because they are less apt to hang with the herd, and wandering sheep tend to bring back domestic disease.

Also, banchor, they are moving "Newfy" sheep as well.

Exciting stuff

It's all true!
Brigham could really tie some great flies with the hair from his beard. Oh, those were the days. I had like...10... wives. I put them all to work and went hunting & fishing every day!
....and that's a true story!
Zeke

LAST EDITED ON Jan-10-14 AT 01:14PM (MST)[p]We weren't really fishing. Old Brig cornered us in the stream, trying to baptize us and see if he could get some of the sin off!
He was successful with me, but Zeke was able to slip his grasp and he ran like hell back to his house full of women....Not sure how many were actually wives???

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom