Binocular advice please

buckhorn

Very Active Member
I would like to buy a pair of rangefinding binoculars. The ones I am most interested in are the Leica Geovid HD-B 10x42.
What would be a good price to pay for a pair of used ones in great condition?
Are there any other brands that are comparable in quality and function?
Thanks

You can typically find the leicas used for under 2 grand. I used to have a pair of them and honestly didn't like all that much. Heavy, and awkward to glass with, rangefinder was solid though. If you can stomach the price the new Zeiss Victory RF is the best on market right now in my opinion.

Coloradoboy

I bought a pair of Geovid HD-R 10x42 for my wife a couple years ago. I liked them so much, I bought a pair for myself. I think you can find them for under $1000.

hwy

I have a friend who had a pair of those Ziess that coloradoboy mentioned. They were like new and I think he sold them for 2600.
I saw the ad that cabin fever listed but I can't get a hold of him.
I like the idea of being able to program in my ballistics for a particular rifle and having a Bino?s adjust for the angle and read out how many clicks I need.
I believe that Leica Geovid HD-R would do everything except for have that custom ballistics program is that correct? With the HDR be the same size and weight as the HD-B?
My current set up is the Leica 10 x 42 Ultravid And I use the Leica1600 range finder. Maybe I should consider just getting an angle compensating rangefinder?

I love mine.

My dad has the vortex 10X rangefinder binos and prefers mine. Are they worth double...maybe not.

I used to use leopold cascades 8X cheap ones and loved them. Just not quite enough power. Never know what works..

Wait till next year & get the 4500 Model!

I know so many people in so many places
They make allot of money but they got sad faces

It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

>I have a friend who had
>a pair of those Ziess
>that coloradoboy mentioned. They were
>like new and I think
>he sold them for 2600.
>
> I saw the ad that
>cabin fever listed but I
>can't get a hold of
>him.
> I like the idea of
>being able to program in
>my ballistics for a particular
>rifle and having a
>Bino?s adjust for the angle
>and read out how many
>clicks I need.
>I believe that Leica Geovid HD-R
>would do everything except for
>have that custom ballistics program
>is that correct? With
>the HDR be the same
>size and weight as the
>HD-B?
>My current set up is the
>Leica 10 x 42 Ultravid
>And I use the Leica1600
>range finder. Maybe I
>should consider just getting an
>angle compensating rangefinder?
Yessir. I'm in the process of switching to the Zeiss. If you're running top end Binos and say a sig 2400 you're into it for the same price as just going with zeiss victory rf.

Thanks for the replies so far
My main concern would be a very steep angle shot likely would be downhill on deer or elk. I shoot a custom build seven MM Remington mag with a Zeiss 5 to 25 conquest scope with the adjustable MOA Turrets . I have used the hornaday ballistics calculator program and have it dialed in really well out to 700 yards But that is figured for level shots. My chart tells me how many clicks to dial the scope for level shots but I wouldn't know how to adjust for steep angle shots without some kind of rangefinder with long range angle compensator.
The pair of Leicas that cabin fever has listed in the classifieds sounds like it would fit the bill but he's not responding to PMs and his email is not working.
Thanks again

>I love mine.
>
>My dad has the vortex 10X
>rangefinder binos and prefers mine.
>Are they worth double...maybe not.
>
>
>I used to use leopold cascades
>8X cheap ones and loved
>them. Just not quite enough
>power. Never know what works..
>

Which model do you have now that you like so well. May I ask how much you paid? Thanks

> Thanks for the replies so
>far
> My main concern would be
>a very steep angle shot
>likely would be downhill on
>deer or elk. I shoot
>a custom build seven MM
>Remington mag with a Zeiss
>5 to 25 conquest scope
>with the adjustable MOA Turrets
>. I have used the
>hornaday ballistics calculator program and
>have it dialed in really
>well out to 700 yards
>But that is figured for
>level shots. My chart tells
>me how many clicks to
>dial the scope for level
>shots but I wouldn't know
>how to adjust for steep
>angle shots without some kind
>of rangefinder with long
>range angle compensator.
>The pair of Leicas that
>cabin fever has listed in
>the classifieds sounds like it
>would fit the bill but
>he's not responding to PMs
>and his email is not
>working.
>Thanks again

Just about every range finder out there now will do angle compensation and give you true ballistic yardage. The Zeiss Victory RF, Sig 2400 and G7 will give you your ballistic solutions in MOA or MIlls.

Coloradoboy

I have the first generation Leica Geovid?s .The old ones with no ballistic calculation. The have worked well for years. I would purchase the new version without hesitation. But I have been using my G seven range finder for ballistic calculations. When I can't get my G seven out of my pack in time. I have to rely on my Geovid?s. Leica makes a great product.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom