Binocular Rankings/Tests

LAST EDITED ON Jul-07-10 AT 07:15PM (MST)[p]There are other bino's that are just as good or better than the "big 3". Look @ birding sites for less biased opinions and reviews, then have an open mind and buy what looks best to you. There is very good info in the link you posted.

I may have overlooked it in their tests, but I fail to see a test on one important criteria- resolution

You are welcome to visit my Photo Gallery here http://dougkoepsel.smugmug.com/
CoyoteButtesSo_721.jpg

hunt30- please list the "other optics" that are better than the "big 3". Just curious. Want to know so I can get my hands on them for comparisons. Thanks CDN

Wow it nice to see where some of them sit in the ranking.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

CDN,

Leica, Swarovski, and Zeiss all make extremely fine optics. In fact the Zeiss Victory w/lutotec have consistently been the top ranked bino in recent reviews. It is also a fact that every bodies eyes are different so what looks the best to one person will not always look the best to another. This being said Swarovski in particular has done a great job of marketing their products as far superior to other optics. In my opinion this is simply not true. While their binos are wonderful, Leica, Zeiss, Nikon, Meopta, Minox, Bushnell, Brunton all produce optics that can hold their own with the best. In some cases for about 1/3 the price, you can get 99% of the performance. In my experience, to get good info on binos, don't look for or ask for advice on hunting forums. Go to the birding forums. Birders are nuts about their optics and tend to be more knowledgeable about the minute details between top end binos. In the end look for yourself, as every set of eyes are a little different. Hope this was coherent and makes sense.

hunt30, I have have been reading birders reviews on optics before forums were even a thought. I agree that eyes are different. I agree that there are optics out there that perform well or close to the "big 3", but none that perform better. No, they do not allow you to magically find game that a guy with lesser glass will not. But I do believe Leica,Swarovski, and Zeiss provide the best optics in the world. You mention value. Value to me means whatever will give me an edge when it comes to finding game. If that costs me more money for the best glass, then so be it. I have not found a piece of glass yet that is your words "better" than the "big 3". I also will never frown on anybody that has lesser glass. Nor will I tell someone they wasted their money because they could have gotten a better value on piece of glass that has 99% of the performance for half the price. In short, I care about that 1%, especially when it comes to glassing for big game. IMO CDN

CDN,

Get your hands on a pair of the Nikon edg. I Think you would be surprised. When ever somebody says these binos aren't as good, it's because they've never used them. The only thing I have looked through that I slightly prefer are the new Zeiss models, although I have yet to look through the new swaros in the field.

hunt30- Nikon EDG-excellent piece of glass. Liked the EL's better when compared SxS. Liked the Swarovisions new eyepieces better when compared SxS to the EL's. Nikonshave a slightly wider FOV, but are similarly priced to the new SLC HD. No big savings by any means. CDN

>I didn't see the magical zen
>rays in the rankings, how
>could that be.....I couldn't resist
>
>
>Rich

You didn't see the Zeiss FL's either.....all that means is they haven't tested them yet.

So, how do you have rankings that hold any weight when all the binos in the class haven't been tested? Sounds like a college football poll to me! :)

>Don't see any Leupold's on their
>either....

I had the same exact thought. How in the world do you test (48) binocs and "NOT" include a Leupold? Some test. :-(

GrizlyHunter

That ranking is crap. I would buy it a little more if they hadn't ranked Alpen at #7. Have they even looked through a pair of Alpen? Like Hardcore said, "No Zeis in the top 10?" Not likely.

It's always an adventure!!!

Bow and Arrow has one in the latest issue. I like it due to it starts at budget, mid-level and then upper cost. Leica was #1 in theirs.

Birders are tightasses and don't torture binos like hunters do....their advice is valueless

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

I'm going to give the birdwatchers more credit as far as knowing and understanding high class glass. Think about it....when you like to see mites on a sparrow's azz, you're looking for the very best glass available. Now just because it's a birdwatchers glass doesn't make it a hunting bino, but you shouldn't discount their knowledge.

great site. IT's nice to find so much in one place. Sometimes its hard to know where to start for glass!

Just thought I would bump this up to the top. They have added a bunch of new bino's to the list. Looks like the Nikon EDG barely beats out the Swarovisions.

While I recommend the Swarovisions I love the EDG glass, I think it is among the best. If memory serves, I would have to go back and look at what I wrote on my site at the time to be sure, my issue with the EDGs was that they didn't make a 50mm objective.

To that end, my issue with the top Zeiss models is that they will not accept the Outdoorsmans Adaptor system and that is a deal killer for me.

By the way, I have been reviewing some of the new Brunton Icon prototype models and they are now doing some revisions that will make them better for this audience. They are planning on going head to head with the big boys at the highest level of quality glass. Should be interesting.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom