Binoculars with or without a rangefinder?

Do you prefer using binoculars with a rangefinder built-in? Why or why not?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

smokingfire

Trying to decide whether or not I want to get binoculars with a rangefinder built-in… curious as to what people prefer and why.

I have Meopta rangefinder binos.....Prefer them over my swaros and regular rangefinder. Everyone who looks through them says Wow those are as good as the swaros. The range finder is fast and accurate.

I have Meopta rangefinder binos.....Prefer them over my swaros and regular rangefinder. Everyone who looks through them says Wow those are as good as the swaros. The range finder is fast and accurate.
Interesting! I’m not familiar with Meopta’s. Which model do you have? Also which Swaros and regular range finder do you have?

Depends on what type of hunting I am doing. If I am in tight in timber or archery hunting, I usually prefer smaller, lighter binos. But if I am hunting more open country, I like the EL Range binos I have.

With archery, I don't like having to raise binos to range an animal. Way easier to just use a rangefinder.

The glass in an “all-in-one” rangefinder bino combo is at a “sales point” that is made to be competitive. If they had a combo that truly had great bino glass coupled with range finding ability - the price point would be too high to maintain sales

In certain situations the combo would work great but if you are expecting the BEST from both capabilities then IMO you need separate items

I certainly prefer a built-in range finder. I have Leica 10’s (with a built- in range finder) I sold my Swaro 10’s (without a range finder) as I like the Leica better, including the Leica glass.
I liked them so much, I ended buying some 15’s as well, with the built-in range finder).

Depends. Bowhunting, no. Muzzleloader, maybe. Rifle, definitely.

Normally, one doesn't buy RF binos for optics clarity. That's not the primary function.

I suppose the two combined are going to be faster, but I use the Swaro EL and carry a separate rangefinder which I rarely use, except for archery. In the end, most of my rifle shots occur within four hundred yards, so the rangefinder just isn't necessary.

Leica's combo is literally amazing! Why the heck would anyone want to carry both around their neck and have to continually go back and forth between a rangefinder and binocular?

A few seconds time difference between going back and forth from a pair of binos and rangefinder and having them both in one unit could easily be the difference between shooting a buck of a lifetime or watching him trot over the hill.

My Leica combo has amazing clarity. From the sound of it, the other brands aren't even in the same ballpark. They aren't cheap but boy are they ever worth every penny!

For me it's a no-brainer....go with the Leica combo!

Why anyone would want to lug up a big heavy pair of binos every time they want a range is crazy. I literally see no advantage to the 2 being together other than when one needs repair I am out both the finder and the binos while waiting for repair.

On archery stalks who want to use a big huge bino for ranges?

Why anyone would want to lug up a big heavy pair of binos every time they want a range is crazy. I literally see no advantage to the 2 being together other than when one needs repair I am out both the finder and the binos while waiting for repair.

On archery stalks who want to use a big huge bino for ranges?

Rifle it makes sense. You're normally looking at the critter from a few hundred yards off before shooting, ranging the same time, well, it's obvious really.

Agree on archery. About the most awkward thing trying to range with binos at 8 or 10 power with one hand when most shots will be under 40 yds. A 3x handheld is, again, pretty obvious.

I run ELs with an Sig RF….. the reason I do not go to a combo is because I worry about the electronics giving out and being stuck with heavy binos. Then also worry about states potentially banning them.

Sig Sauer Kilo 3000 BDX 10x42 Rangefinder Binoculars​

For rangedinding they are faster and more accurate than the Leica and swaro rangefinders in my opinion. I’ve tested all 3 side by side and was loyal to Leica until I used the Sig.
The built in ballistic engine isn’t very good on the Sig in my opinion but the rangefinder gives better range readings and angles.
The glass quality is really good but takes a few steps back compared to Leica and Swaro.

With apps like BaseMap - you could shoot an animal in thick cover at 200 yards and mark the kill and thats huge when trying to find it. If you’ve never walked past an animal your better than most.

If you need to take a closer look bring your sporting scope and that goes for most 10x binos.

Switching back and forth between a 6-7 power range finger and your binos is time consuming and strains my eyes. The leicas with built in rangefinder are almost perfect but the rangefinder is slow. The swaro built in rangefinder with large ranging circle is the slowest rangefinder and not as accurate but the glass is the best.

I picked up the sig kilo 3000 on a sale for $700 and sold my leicas and my swaro that I won at a match. Having the rangefinder and bino in 1 unit is the best move I made. It was hard partying with the leicas glass but the sigs glass is really good.

I run 10x rangefinder binos and bring a spotting scope. I think it’s the best all around for spotting.

The glass in an “all-in-one” rangefinder bino combo is at a “sales point” that is made to be competitive. If they had a combo that truly had great bino glass coupled with range finding ability - the price point would be too high to maintain sales

In certain situations the combo would work great but if you are expecting the BEST from both capabilities then IMO you need separate items
Good thought. Although Swarovski has their EL glass line with the rangefinder.

Without…
Swaro NL 12x42s paired with a Sig Kilo 5000

I’ve owned both the Zeiss RF’s and the EL ranges and they are solid but I can’t live without the NL pures at this point. Never have I found it personally to be a disadvantage switching from my binos to my range finder whether I’m guiding or hunting for myself.

Like some others have mentioned, I use RF binoculars always for rifle hunting (and muzzleloader hunting), but use separate binos and rangefinder for bow hunting. My RF bino is a Bushnell Fusion 1600 10x, and it has pretty good optical quality. For bowhunting, I use a Swarovski 8x30 and slope compensating rangefinder.

I have been using the original Leica's since they came out. The new sig's are okay but the new great range finder bino is the Revic Acura BLR10b. if you're shooting long range you needs some kind of ballistic range finder. You might as well carry it in your bino's ! These high end units have good enough glass for me. It just seems like a no brainer. Buy once cry once. You can't take it with you.

Some strange arguments here.

Heavy: My LRF binocular weighs 24.7oz. Maybe you need more 12oz curls.

States possibly banning them: Leica Geovids have been around 31 years. Yeah, I don't think they're going anywhere.

So, you always glass holding binos with only one hand?

I prefer to have the two separate but understand why some would want them combined. 99.99% I'm using my binoculars with no need for a range. I've never been in a situation were having the combo would have made a difference in the field. The extra weight, cost and possible need to update/repair the combo just isn't worth it to me.
I have 10x and 15x Swarovski and a couple Leica Rangemaster rangefinder's.
If I wanted the combo, I would be looking at the Leica Geovid.

Lol. What does your magic bino weigh?

Wasn't my post. Pay attention...

Here's the crayon version:

1) Guy asks why someone would use big bulky RF binos for archery stalks.

2) You mouth off something about 12oz curls and how much your binos weigh. No big deal.

3) I ask if you glass one handed as well, since you can operate your RF binos one handed while holding a bow in the other (the whole point with comments about using a handheld instead).

4) Then, you ask a question about peeing. Really!?!?

Last edited:
I don't know which I prefer yet, but I just got my Vortex 5000 HD today. I had a bunch of Cabelas bucks burning a hole in my pocket, a broken pair of binocs, a cheapo rangefinder held together with duct tape, and two mule deer hunts coming up this year!

There are a couple other discussions in the optics forum to check out.

I wouldn’t mind getting a pair of swaros with the built in RF, but when bow hunting and I’m in close, I don’t want to use binos in certain situations. Bow in left hand and small FR in right—attached to a tether. If things happen quick I can just let go of the RF or used one hand to put it away. Most of the time I need two hands to use my binos and put them away.

Even if I had RF binos, I’d always have my little RF on me. Plus I can let my kids play with it to stay entertained. Haha.

It's a $3000 unnecessary luxury that anybody can do for a small fraction of a pair of Geovids.

I run a Zeiss and Sig combo.......works perfectly.

But if 3k is easy......go for it ?

I've used EL range's for quite a while and I upgraded to the new version this year . not only are the optics fantastic but the ballistics program is spot on and simple to use.

No question having the rangefinder in the binoc is the only way to go. having separate devices makes about as much sense as carrying your bolt in your pocket.

I've used EL range's for quite a while and I upgraded to the new version this year . not only are the optics fantastic but the ballistics program is spot on and simple to use.

No question having the rangefinder in the binoc is the only way to go. having separate devices makes about as much sense as carrying your bolt in your pocket.
......unless you don't have deep pockets

Doug at Cameraland was just selling Sig Kilo6k and GPO Rangeguide 8x32's for $800.00. If that's "deep pockets", I don't know what to tell you. Not everyone needs (or wants) Leica or Swarovski.

Last edited:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom