binos for the kids

txjp

I am looking into getting some binos for the kids to use. I am looking to stay under or around 200.
I have been looking at bushnell xlt,nikon ATB,vortex crossfire or diamondback,and leupold acadia.
Does anyone have any experience with any of these or recomend looking at something else.
I am looking for something tough and reliable.
We are only talking short range stuff 200-300yard max they wont be looking at deer and elk miles away.
Thank
Jason

Any of those will probably be more than enough eye wear for a kid. My first pair of bino's were a pair of Bushnell Permafocus something or others that, at the time, I thought ruled the roost.

Look at the warranties offered by each company on the ones you are looking at and whoever has the best one may be the best to go with. Kids can be hard on gear.

I would say vortex for the great warranty. But, as a kid I always used one of those huge old pairs that my grandpa had given me and they worked great for me until I bought my own when I was 16 or so. Yard sales might be your best option :)

You don't say how old the kids are. Low end is fine. My first pair of binos were some perma focus ones from Sam's club for $35. I couldn't believe how many animals I found with those that I wouldn't have without. Just make sure you get water proof binos. Basement level water proof glass are probably the low end Barskas, but the kids will still fight over who gets to look through them at a given moment. Don't spend $200, unless your kids care enough and are careful enough to treat the glass with respect. Sometimes its less painful to teach kids those things with cheap glass. Get each of them their own pair. Most kids think the plastic walmart toy binos are cool, so any real binos will be appreciated by them.

I should have been a little more detailed.
I have two kids (10 and 16) and both have been hunting for a while and both have a cheap set. I was looking to buy one set that they could share. I have been puting them in some draw hunts and the binos would be for those hunts so they would not be going at the same time. They have both taken good care of the cheap set so I was going to upgrade them.
Thanks for the info so far.

stick with vortex kids often break things. diamondbacks are very good, crossfire are ok. they may be better off with 8x as it will be easier for them to steady.

For the 16 year old I would definitely go with something that he can use for the long term. I would say Vortex Diamondbacks 8X42s or Nikon Trailblazers 8X42s. both companies will take care of you for warranty work and both are good quality and will last him for a long time. If he gets really serious about hunting he can invest in high end glass later. If not and he remains casually interested in hunting, either of those would be sufficient for his lifetime. For the 10 year old, you could wait a few years or you could get him Nikon Travelites, they are a good pair of binos for a younger kid.
Let us know what you decide to do!

LAST EDITED ON Sep-20-12 AT 02:58PM (MST)[p]I have a set of Nikon Trailblazer ATB that I wouldn't mind selling if you are interested. They are the 10x50's.

Thanks for all the replys.
I have decided on vortex diamondback 10x42 for the oldest. That way he will have a good pair that will last him until he buys his own high end glass.
Have not decided on the youngest. I am sure I will go with something 8x

>LAST EDITED ON Sep-20-12
>AT 02:58?PM (MST)

>
>I have a set of Nikon
>Trailblazer ATB that I wouldn't
>mind selling if you are
>interested. They are the 10x50's.
>
Thanks for the offer but I have decided on Vortex.

I have a brother that might be interested. pm me price and pics if you can.

I have two boys in that same age group (my oldest is a little younger). When I upgrade my binos to the Swaro SLC's my oldest took over my Leupold Windriver 10X42. They have been great binos for me and he has really taken a liken to them. If I were to do it all over again I would give the 8X a serious look. I have always thought that bigger is better. In this case I think that the 8x would have been the better option.

400bull

8x or 10x, I really think it is unique to the individual. I used 10x for years and never had a complaint. Now I use 8.5s and much prefer them. Quality of glass has a lot to do with it. High end 8x will provide better results than 10x mid range.

+1 this is true! My HD Steiner 8x binos are way better than mid to low end glass in 10x or even 12x. Quality beats power.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom