Bipod or shooting sticks

Powder

I'm looking at getting either a bipod or shooting sticks but I need some help deciding which is better. I will mainly be hunting breaks/badlands areas with a fair amount of trees. If I went with a bipod it would need to be detachable. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

I personally use the Underwood shooting sticks and they have worked really well. I also have a Harris Bipod. The bipod provides more solid support but they are heavy and awkward.

I like the looks of the Snipe Pod that seems to give you the best of both worlds with the quick detachable and portable shooting sticks attached.

I hope this helps.

Firehawk

I'm a big bipod fan - I own three Harris bipods. There are some disadvantages of them though, they are detachable, but not terribly quickly, they add weight to the gun, and are tough to use when shooting uphill/downhill. But I wouldn't be without mine - for the times when you can use it - it's a rock solid rest. I think I'd like to try some shooting stics someday, just to compare the two, but as for now, I'll stick with Harris.

Keep the Sun at Your Back and the Wind in Your Face

If you hike way pack in then it will become obvious in a very short time period why you will probably only take a bipod into camp 1 time, and then you'll use shooting sticks. They work great.

T

Thanks for the replies. Bipods sound good but I'll be getting a set of shooting sticks. I do other hunting with this gun where the bipod isn't necessary and the extra weight would be annoying.

I like shooting sticks for two reasons:

1. They are light and take up very little room in either a pack, or in a sheath on your belt.

2. The sticks are very flexible/adjustable for uneven terrain and for different angles and elevations.

Ed

I've carried the heavier Harris bipod. Now I am carrying the lighter Steady Stix with the additional tripod leg. Find it just as steady as the Harris, but not as steady as when resting across the daypack.

RR

There are pros and cons to each, but the real key is to practice a lot with whichever system you choose. I've had lots of hunters show up with gadgets they haven't used or practiced with and it has cost plenty of them at the moment of truth.

Good luck...

I have the Steady Stix also and I like it better than the Harris bipod. I haven't tried the additional tripod leg but they sound like they would be a benefit. Do they still fold and fit into a belt pouch like the steady stix shooting sticks?

I have carried the Harris bi-pod in my backpack and never put them on my rifle. They make the rifle off balance and won't fit in a horse scabbard. The Harris would probably be O.K. if you weren't going to travel very far.

Bipods are usually not long enough for me to shoot with. They are also very akward. I LOVE my shooting sticks. I have a pair that you twist and then they can get larger or smaller. THey are tuff enough to use as a walking stick when you are on easy terrain.

I have used several things, but have now settled on the Mossback shooting tripod. Adjustable from sitting to standing. It is not the quickest setup in the world, but very easy to use and pack.

I have used the Harris Bipod for years and like it. I use shooting sticks when hunting areas with high grass and sage. Has anyone used the Versa-Pod which is like the Harris Bipod but has a mounting system that allows for quick attachment and removal. I have seen it in the Cabelas Catalog.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom