Birthday Muzzy Coues... Again!

5yearcoueshunter

LAST EDITED ON Nov-02-12 AT 12:10PM (MST)[p]Well, I was able to get my second Coues deer this past week. Not only was it my second Coues, but it was my 2nd with a muzzleloader and it was the 2nd Coues I've taken on my birthday! That definitely must be my lucky day! lol He's not the biggest buck but I was sure happy to get him. Hunting was tough with the heat, full moon, increased hunting pressure and it seemed like a lower population in the area we hunted.

I spotted a group of deer with 3 small bucks in the group around 550 yards across the canyon about 10 minutes before sundown. I was able to make a stalk on the deer and got within 162 yards. When I got over there I was only able to see a doe and one of the bucks, a small 3X4. He gave me a good broadside shot so I decided to take him. At the shot, the buck jumped and he immediately disappeared behind a small tree only about 10 yards from where he was standing. I quickly reloaded and headed up there. It turned out the shot was a little far back in the liver. The deer was definitely hurting but still had his head up. I decided to put another one in him to finish him off. All I could see was the top of his neck and head in the tall grass. I pulled for the neck and was able to finish him off. When I walked up to him, I was a little bummed because my finishing off shot was too high and I got him in the head, which completely busted off one antler. Oh well. At least is wasn't a big buck or else I would have been really mad at myself. haha I didn't get any field photos that night as I hurried to get him field dressed and back to camp in the dark, but I did take a few pics the next day. I couldn't have asked for a better birthday!

100_0366.jpg

100_0363.jpg

100E0379.jpg

Went back the next day and was able to find the missing antler. It busted off probably about 2 inches and the bottom and took off the brow-tine.

100E0378.jpg

100_0381.jpg

Also saw about 3 covey's of Mearn's and Gambel quail. Took this picture at probably 5 yards. There is about 7 Mearn's hiding in those rocks. Amazing how they can hide!

100E0388.jpg

Thanks guys!

Travis

Great Job! I took a nice Coues with my muzzleloader as well. My 3rd Coues, but first with a muzzleloader. The other 2 were archery. Interesting you mentioned increased hunting pressure because I saw the same thing. Actually I was pretty surprised about the amount of people in an area I was hunting. Difficult access and Wilderness desigation I figured I wouldn't see many people. Full moon and severe lack of water made for a tough hunt for sure.

Congrats!
Jeff

Way to get it done with a smoke pole Travis. Bummer about the horn getting blown off. No euro I guess.

Congrats on a great deer and happy birthday.We were in 23 last week too ans saw deer everyday just no bucks.My friend killed her first coues with a smokepole at 80 yards open sites.I'm still sore as I type this...

Thanks everyone! Congrats on your 3rd Coues Jeff!
Tim, my Dad was with me. He had a tag as well but didn't have any luck. He says hi. :)

Travis

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom