Bitter Sweet Success

medicinebow

It was a bitter sweet success for the first of October. My October started with a muzzleloader elk hunt on the Zuni Reservation. I harvested a bull, but the wrong bull. The bulls were screaming and going crazy and I was working my way in on a bull we'd seen the first day that would push 390. There were about 7 other bulls hanging around the main herd and as we sat down and did some calling, it sounded like the big bull was coming. In my excitement and anticipation, my trigger finger got a mind of it's own and overrode my instinct to glass the bull I saw coming in. As I saw the parts of the rack shining in the sun as it moved through the thick cedars, I pulled up and settled the iron sights and squeezed as he stepped into the small opening. After the smoke cleared, I saw a bull run off then heard the crash and wheezing. I got him!! So, I thought. Well my buddies were about 100 yards away and we met up and I asked if they saw the bull they said yeah. I said how big was he, and he said a medium 5X5. They said the look on my face was priceless. Sure enough when we walked up to him it was confirmed. I shot the wrong bull. Oh well, there's always next year and I have another freezer full of meat.

So, after the reservation hunt I had the muzzleloader antelope hunt in unit 15. After a couple days of hunting we took the biggest buck we could find on the ranch I was assigned. I was able to sneak within 300 yards before he came the rest of the way toward me and I ended up taking him at 70 yards.

The bitter part about this hunting adventure was when I got home from the antelope hunt my buddy, who was hunting with me in Zuni texted me and said he had bad news. I thought "what now"!! We had established a plan since my antelope hunt overlapped with the elk hunt that my buddies would take the elk rack back to Albuquerque for me and I'd pick them up upon my return.
He had taken a bull on the last morning of the hunt and when he got home he put both of our racks in the bed of his boat on the side of his house the night he got home. He went out to check on them the next morning and someone had stolen both sets of antlers. Granted my rack wasn't the biggest but it still meant alot to me so I was pissed. So, unfortunately I don't have any good pictures of the bull, but here is the antelope I took. Hope everyone's hunting adventures have turned out well so far and good luck to those awaiting to hit the woods.

7741photo.jpg

MBBGH

That sucks they stold your rack. I have had that fear a few times.

Couple times I have taken them into a motel with me and put them in the bath tub. My wife thought I was crazy, but, I know what people will do.

I know the feeling shooting the wrong animal. Did that a few years ago in a hell hole. Every pic of me with that elk I was scowling. I laugh about it now though.

CONGRATS on the animals. Sorry to hear some scumbag stole the rack. There are some Sorry people in this world.

We never leave the heads in the truck overnite when we are traveling for that very reason. Lots of scum bags out there.

Thieves suck!!

At least you had a couple of great hunts, saw a monster bull, and ended up with a freezer full of meat and a really nice speed goat.

I killed a decent 6x6 on the opening evening of a hunt years back. We quartered him up to cool overnight and packed out the head. In the morning when we went back to pack out the meat, a guy came cruising up on his 4-wheeler and suggested we stash the rack that was in the back of my truck due to thieves. He told us of a similar story he had had where several bulls were stolen from their camp. I believe he had a cable and lock on his 4-wheeler just for that purpose.

It really is dissapointing to know you have to worry about such things.

I carry a cable and case-harden lock just for chaining up my racks while I'm gone from camp.
Haven't lost one yet, But I have come back and they have moved around some.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom