Bittersweet buck

crazeymaez

Very Active Member
I took my dad out on his deer hunt which started Saturday.
Friday evening he called me letting me know he would have to miss Saturday.

Sunday was one of those days not soon to be forgotten
We ended up glassing 9 bucks and a great bull pushing 20 cows
At about 9 we stopped at another glassing spot.As soon as I put up my binos a I could see a buck at full alert and obscured by some brush.I told my pops he looked good and he should shoot.

My sister was hunting elk in 52 with my wife and brother and I had lent her my trusty 300WSM.So we were packing a 243.With heavy undergrowth and a 250 yrd downhill shot my dad prepared for the shot.At the shot the buck busted out of there I swore I saw him limping,And in all the comotion told my dad to put another round in him.He hit the skyline and that the last we saw of him.All this lasted like 5 seconds.

I straped on my pack and went to look for a sign of a hit.
I spent an hour down there found his tracks where he busted out But only could find them for 15ft no blood no hair no idea which way he ran once he had skylined and disappeared.

The next 3 days I would hike and glass looking for him,Crows something.Today we were on a lookout point and I saw a lone crow.It took off flying.As we were loading up our stuff to return home I heard the crow returning.To my amazement he landed in the same tree.This is a 1/4 mile away through the binos.I ran to the Jeep and got the spotter.

As I was focused on the Crow he stayed in the tree for 5 minutes
I figured he was just sunning.As he jumped off the limb he circled to earth,Trying to keep the spotting scope on him was tough.As he landed I could not believe it He landed on the buck.
At first I wasnt sure and zoomed the spotter to 60x.

I wanted to make sure what I was looking at before I told my dad
As I stared in disbelief.I said I found your buck.The first words out of his mouth was "Your shi#en me"He was a 1/4 mile from where he had shot and had went over a cliff in desperation.

These animals are sacred to me.Not one day goes by that I dont think of the Mule Deer.It sucked to lose his meat.But I wont have to worry about him anymore.I started my journey to recover my Dads rack Knowing the meat was unsalvageable and we had taken this beautiful animals life and would only have the rack to show for it.Very sad and bittersweet.

CONGRATS to your Dad on a Super deer. Sorry to hear about losing the meat. The main thing is you never gave up!

That is one helluva a buck. I have in the past also glassed birds and they always let me down.
We found my brothers bull a few years ago a week after he shot it. It was thick, could not get a read on the birds and finally caught the smell and found it that way. That bull was over a half mile from the shot.
It happens. Glad you guys found that exceptional buck.

Very nice buck. The Mule deer is a very unique animal for sure. Got to love em. Glad you guys found him. Wont be hunting muleys until another week. Hope to get a few more snow storms to bing em down. Congrats to your dad.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-17-13 AT 01:37PM (MST)[p]Congrats to your dad on a really nice buck. Way to stick with it.

Way to stick with it! crappy feeling to lose them like that but like you said at least there is closure...
It is a great buck, looks a lot better on here than the text you sent :) Hopefully I got one to send to you this weekend from CO ;-)
Good luck when you come up here if I dont talk to you before!
Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

Congrats on not giving up and finding that buck for your Dad. You gave your Dad the memories and the rack. Because you didn't give up you changed a bad time with memories into a good time for you both. I hate loosing an animal but it happens and that's hunt'n. I have a couple of deer and elk that we lost through the years that will haunt me forever...

You experience finding that buck turned out better than most....

))))------->

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom