Black Belt Question

H

Henry

What is the better weight of Black Belt bullet for both Elk and Deer? Assuming they both shoot well out of my rifle.
348 grain or 405 grain
I am being foced to change powder brands and I started to think, maybe I should change bullet weights too.
Which one would you pick and why?
Oh yea, I shoot a 50 cal inline.

I depends on the one that shoots the best. Accuracy is more important that trajectory. I personally like the 295 grain bullet but I don't use this load on Elk. Deer only!

I would go with the 348 grain bullets. I used the same ones out of my muzz gun and they were accurate. I shot a good 4 point last year and it held together very well. not to mention it knocked him down like a truck hit him. 348 will do the job fine, plus a little flatter shooting than the 405's. People kill Elk with 150 grain bullets all the time, a 348 will be plenty.

Henry during my Mule Deer/Cow Elk hunt out west last year I had my Black Diamond sighted in using both the 295 and the 348 (.50 cal). I found that my Black Diamond using 110 gr of pyrodex RS grouped my shots using the 295 gr bullets about 1 1/2 high at 100 yards and the 348 gr were right on at 100 yards. I found no variance in windage. My plan was to use 348 on days we were after elk and 295 on Mule Deer. Took a nice Muley at about 115 yards with a 295 gr, but I'm sorry to say that I wasn't able to take my Elk so I can't tell you how the 348 gr would perform. With what I saw in the 295 I actually believe I could have just stayed with the 295 gr as long as I kept my yardage in the 120 and under range.

Bluelk you're exactly right. I guess I go into answering questions involving bullet size with a given set of assumptions.

1. I'm afforded a shot at a range and situation that I'm comfortable with and have practiced.

2. You know what the kill zone is for the given animal and you placed your shot in that zone.

If you can't hit what your aiming at I guess the solution is a 105 mm howitzer where you only have to get close :)

Bluelk, really glad to have you back!!

Viking_Six: Thank you, my man, I appreciate it. The other thing that seems to work well is a grenade launcher!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom