Black Diamond bullet question?

JB48

Does anyone have a recommendation for a non-sabot projectile and load for a T/C 50 Black Diamond. I have been shooting maxi-ball and maxi hunters with poor results. I realize this gun with it's rate of twist prefers sabots. Any help would be appreciated. JB

I would try the heaviest, longest conical bullet you can find. Precision Rifle has some good conical bullets. You might give them a try. Good info on their website as well that might help you decide. This would be one to consider:

http://www.prbullet.com/ulk.htm

What state are you in?

Bob,
Thanks for the information, I am in Oregon. I bought the Black Diamond for an Oregon antelope hunt in 01,before Oregon decided against sabots. Now I want to get it ready for a possible Oregon hunt, granulated powder and no sabots.I'm wondering if I will get decent enough accuracy, or need to buy a new traditional muzzleloader. JB

TC bullets are not magic in anyone's ML's. I hate to say it because TC is a GREAT company. But their bullets stink in a fast twist gun.
Try a 385 gr Hornady great plains bullet. You might have some luck with them. They shoot sub 2" 100 yard groups out of my gun. If you were into making your own bullets I have a recommendation. Lee makes a 500 S&W mould that they say is 440 gr. If you pour them out of soft lead they weigh 456 gr or about that. I paper patch them and shoot them out of a 1-28 twist gun. I am getting 1.5" groups at 100 yards with this bullet. Paper patching is an amazing way to get the most out of a gun in my opinion. Look at some of the posts I have about paper patching. on this site. Ron

Ron,
Thanks, I'm going to work on the above suggestions. I may end up buying a traditional ML to shoot in Oregon if I cant get my Black Diamond dialed in. JB

Paper Patching? Is this the physical process of wrapping a lead bullet in a paper patch and shooting the bullet? Similar to the use of pillow ticking or other types of cloth patching for when using round balls in the older muzzle loader rifles? Please define the paper patching system.

If your Black Diamond shoots sabots fine, but not been able to shoot conicals, I would say that there is a good chance you've got gas leakage around the conical as it comes out. This is a problem with conicals, especially if they have a solid base versus a hollow base. You could shoot power belts, but I believe in Oregon they are also illegal because of the plastic belt. So try some button pads over the powder. I would also go to the range with some of them soaked in a wax. Some people use wasp nest material over the powder with excellent results. Make sure the hornets are dead! And of course the paper patching will work, like Ron says.

I doubt if going to a traditional will gain you much if you think they will shoot conicals better, with the same twist. My traditionals, with a 1 in 28" twist, don't shoot conicals near as accurate as they do using the buttons.

Shayne

I have written a lot about paper patching on this site. I paper patch for my 45 and 50.
Yes the paper patch is a paper jacket wrapped around the bullet. It protects the lead from the gas, and barrel steel. What I do is pour my bullets, size the lead, wrap the bullet in the paper and then lube the paper and size the bullet again to make sure it will load. Here is a picture of the 500 smith and wesson bullet out of a Lee mould. It weighs 456 gr as poured with soft lead.
458gr501-1.jpg

500SW3-22-08small.jpg

This is the method that all the long range shooters (1000 yard) are doing to get the best groups. I have found it to be a very accurate method. Here are a couple of groups from my 45 that show what kind of difference it makes.
11-24-07--45-70.jpg

This next picture is a target I shot with the 45. I shot the first 3 shot group cleaned the gun and moved the sight. Then I shot a 2 shot group and cleaned the gun and moved the sight 2" right but the picture said left.
Then I shot a 6 shot group and DIDN'T clean the gun. This was to see what kind of hunting field accuracy I could expect if I didn't clean the gun.
11-30-07_458_rifle_test.jpg

These groups were shot using a peep sight and a globe front sight. It would be interesting to see what paper patching a bullet for a scoped inline would produce. Ron

In the handbook I got with my TC Black Diamond it suggests that you use a bullet button if shooting conicals/Maxiballs/Maxi hunters.

Works fine for me shooting Maxi Hunters.

I have heard that some people have good luck with the TC bullets but I have never had good luck. I took a box of maxi hunters and Maxi balls and put them through the tests. I took the lube off and measured them then I weighed each of them. For the most part they were not round, and they were not consistent. The weight was up to 30 grains off on some like this one.
2250Crap_TC_bullet.jpg

The Hornady swagged bullets are very uniform. If A guy wants to make his own you can really get the quality control down. The last batch I made I loosened the requirements a bit but every bullet out of the 100 I made were +- .5 grain, most of the time I used to shoot for +- .3 grains but I don't see much difference in the added 2/10's of a grain variance on groups.
Ron

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom