black powder/pyro pellet equivalency question

mainer

I've tried lots of different substitutes over the years, but a long time ago settled in with Goex FFG. Now my .45 caliber CVA Kodiak, which I got about a year ago, calls for UP TO 150 grains of pellets(3), but only 120 grains maximum if I load with the real thing. I realize the "point of diminishing returns" issue with maximum charges, but this brings up a question, probably a stupid one, but here goes: Will less BP give ballistic stats comparable to a greater charge of pelletized? I like the BP alot, but have to confess I got a whole boatload of .45 cal pyrodex pellets at W-Mart after the season ended for three bucks a box. Quite frankly, any thing but BP is an affront to my manhood, but the devil made me buy the pellets....or maybe I'm just a cheap skate! Thanks in advance.

The 100 grs of real BP I'm using is about 300 fps slower than 2 Pyrodex pellets with FFFg and 350fps slower with FFg. Wih equal amounts real BP just dosen't create the same pressure as the subs. I suggest you shoot some of both through a cronograph, thats what I did, but then again my comparison was not with Goex.

Thanks Fairchase. It occurred to me later last night that I'm talking volume not weight with the BP. I'm not knowledgable enough on the subject to know if this is a factor also. Anyway, the CVA standards are based on volume of loose powder. Also, I thought Goex is BP. It says on the front of the can (red) that it is.

You've got it, Goex is BP. I should have explained that my results were based on Wano BP and that each brand is different, so your results will be different. Good luck.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom