Blackbelts or Powerbelts?????

L

LOVEMY270

I just got my first muzzleloader (CVA .50), the included booklet suggests pyrodex pellets and powerbelt bullets. Well i'm not totally sold on what the booklet says, so I am looking for some practical field proven advice. Are the powerbelts all they are cracked up to be, or should I try the all-lead blackbelts? I have heard that the powerbelts tend to come apart and penetrate well. Is this right? Is there an advantage to going with either belted bullet or is a sabot better? The booklet also says that I can shoot 5 or 6 shots withoout cleaning with powerbelts and pyrodex pellets, is this true? Thanks for any info you can provide.

I'd skip the all lead bullets. The Powerbelts(copper clad)shoot well in most any rifle. I have heard that some people use the HP's for practice and the Aerotips for hunting. I have been told that the AT's hold their weight better than the HP's. I have seen first hand the results of the 245 HP's. Messy. As far as shooting goes, you can shoot that many or more. Why would you want to? If you only sight it in and hunt, swab between shots at the range to closer emulate a clean bore and don't after the shot during hunting. For just shooting for fun, it's ok. The advantage of the saboted bullet is adaptability. You have many more choices with sabots. There are more choices if you want to tailor your loads. I shoot both styles in different rifles.

We too, born to freedom, and believing in freedom, are willing to fight to maintain freedom. We, and all others who believe as deeply as we do, would rather die on our feet than live on our knees.-Franklin Roosevelt

I shot the lead blackbelt bullets and loved em, I will shot them out of every muzzle loader I own, Great penetration , performance and group great. Don't be affraid try em.

I have always shot the blackbelts, copper covered. Shoots great in my T/C renegade. Remember that true sabots (which these are not) are banned from using in states like Colorado.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I shoot the Copper Hollow Point 348 gr. for Deer and Elk. They work great. I really like how easy they are to start and load. I got rid of my short starter, I just don't need it anymore.

I was at the Powerbelt manufacturing plant the other day and was very impressed with the photos and trophies hanging all around. First off, let me say don't believe what you hear about slugs breaking up or lack of penetration. Most of the trophies I saw were from either Africa or Alaska. The animals taken included plains game, Antelope, Kudu, Warthog ect... and a good sized Water Buffalo in the African group. Then from Alaska he had a Kodiak Brown Bear on the wall and it was huge, I think it was something like 10 feet nose to tail!
While I did not meet the owner,(he was on a trip) I did get a tour of his office(the poeple there are very nice.) All I can say is those bullets have always done well for me, and it looks like there doing ok for the owner too, on much bigger game.

BTW, The company officially changed it's name to Powerbelt, no more Blackbelt. There new packaging reflects this change.

Thanks for the advice guys....I'll keep you posted on my success or lack thereof. thanks again.

If you aren't sold on one bullet or the other try them all. If you don't mind how Sabots load in YOUR rifle then find one that shoots well. Some people (ME) have found what we like and are kinda bias to it. You find out what you like. In my rifle the 250gr Barnes Expander probably groups a little tighter in my A&H. My problem with the Barnes, it was extremely hard to put down the barrel. With the PB I get very good accuracy and it loads easily.
As far as their ability to penetrate. I have shot them into tree stumps, cinderblocks, 55 gallon drums, an old adobe brick wall from 50-200 yds. I have recovered them (I like recovering bullets, my wife laughs) and wieghed them. I haven't had any of them fall apart. They have all retained approx. 95-98% of their wieght and ended up about 1" in diameter. Works for me.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom