Blackhorn Ignition and Genisis

I

irhuntr

Shot blackhorn all summer last year and had one hangfire and one primer fizzle without any ignition out of about 50 or so shots.So cleaned the breechplug extra good and shot some more with awsome accuracy.Hunted last fall for several days seeing some great bucks and then on about the sixth night I spot the buck I had come for.This deer was only 90 yards broadside but probably over 215 inch nontypical or more and well you guessed it,all I got when I pulled the trigger was fizzle.I rolled back out of sight of this buck and his does and capped the gun again and fizzle.I pushed the bullet back dawn the barrel as it had moved maybe 8 inches off the charge and tryed again.I went through 7 to 10 brand new CCI caps trying to ignite that charge and shoved the bullet back down at least 3 times while this monster and all his does would just raise their heads after each cap but would go back to feeding.Needless to say Im in the anti Blackhorn club now because back at camp I loaded up fresh 209 and bingo,another fizzle.Next I resighted my gun with pyrodex and fired about 12 flawless shots.No 209 again for me!!

Yea,I cleaned it and got some real hard stuff ou but it was dang clean,flash hole,everything.Ive read about a lot of guys with this problem with a lot of other guns,guess I should have read and studied more.Its real frustrating to waste a once in a lifetime opertunity when with the same gun an hour later shoots flawlesly with good old Pyrodex with nothing being done to it.I hope you guys that get great tags use something a little more dependable.Sure hard to take after all those years applying and passing up 200 inch deer only to have the best buck of your life just walk away.Good luck and may all your smokepoles go off like they should...

Blackhorn 209 may burn clean but I am getting good accuracy with Triple 777 and think I will continue to use it. It has never failed me.

I have shot BH 209 for the last 2 years, probably shot 100 or so times out of my Encore, never had a single misfire or hangfire. Sorry you had trouble, but its the best powder I've ever used, including 777, Pyrodex , Shockey Gold, and black powder.

Same here. I have not had an issue with BH209 when I have kept the maintenance up, and I have been using it for 3 years now.

So you are saying that just the primer moved the bullet 8" down the bore without igniting the powder? Hmmm, something is fishy. Sounds like you had moisture in the bore / damp powder or your projectile is not giving enough tension. I have found it needs to be firmly seated to go off with any type of accuracy.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-10-11 AT 08:43PM (MST)[p] If you really do not think it is a seal problem, I would try loading 5 grains of triple 7 powder first then load your BH 209.

I've shot well over 100 shots with BH209 and no problems. I will trust it in the field no doubt. I will also do plenty of practice and prep prior to getting into the field to determine if there are any "issues" that could throw my game off.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom