blackscreek packs...

monstermuleyman

Im considering getting a blacks-creek pack for the upcoming bowhunt. Have you guys used it, and if so, what do you like or dislike about them? Would you say they are reliable in the field? They seem like a good pack, they look like they are built with quality, but have not seen one in person. Any advice?

I hunted with a friend who used one last year and he loved it. Seemed to be well made, tough and well thought out. Lots of pockets. fatrooster.

I have used one for the last several years and they are nice but also HEAVY compared to badlands packs!

My next pack is going to be a badlands!!

4a7d1f93337c7fd7.jpg

Nets are for fish!!

LAST EDITED ON Mar-31-10 AT 08:26PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Mar-31-10 AT 08:25?PM (MST)

Order the new barbarian featherlight, tried one last year on a sheep hunt. Awesome built pack that is only 5.5 lbs and 4500 cubic inch. I have one coming in May. You wont be disappointed. Its the new and upcoming pack for sure!!

http://www.blacks-creek.com/www/New Site pages/Sub Pages/Packs Pages/FeatherlightPage.html

ridgeline outdoors
blacks creek guide gear

I've got a couple of Blacks Creek packs and I love them. I've had the one for about 5 years now and have used it for packing deer quarters, deer heads, gear and sheds. I have been amazed at how much weight it can hold and how comfortable it is on my back. I just got the Bone Collector 2.5 and although I haven't used it too much, I am really impressed. Like mentioned they have a lot of pockets which is great for keeping all your gear sorted. They are a little heavier then some but I don't notice when I am using them.I am 5'8" and both packs fit really well to my back. I like the adjustable features so that the pack can be made to fit your specific body shape. I for one am sticking with the Blacks Creek packs-they've never let me down. Hope that helps.

Barbarian Featherweight!

I've ditched my Eberle and Badlands packs, this this is sweet. Lightweight and bombproof.

Going with the new Barbarian featherlight this year for my hunts.
I need a light but very heavy duty pack.

I have the Alaskan and it $uc&$! Not worth the money, only myself to blame for buying it, should have done more research.
Too many straps and the zipper is about as good as 8 year old mono fishing line.
I thought the idea behind it was great while trying it on in the store and comparing it to other packs but using it in the real world is a different story.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Mntman...
What pack are you considering getting to replace the alaskan? Have you looked at the new barbarian? Are you going to break away from blackscreek?

LAST EDITED ON Apr-02-10 AT 11:23AM (MST)[p]I have to COMPLETELY disagree with mntman on this one!! I have the Alaskan and it has been a GREAT packer....is very comfortable loaded and not, as well as tough. Mine is from about 5 yrs ago...don't know if the newer Alaskan has gone downhill in quality, but I doubt it. I would think that any of these packs are great...given my personal experience with this one. I am considering getting the Barb. featherlight for this years bowhunt though. I have a disease of the "Latest and greatest". Can't go wrong though...IMHO.

The Proof is in the puddin'.......
Last years buck in the Alaskan.
9822copy_of_008.jpg

MonsterMuley,
I don't know? haven't got into looking again. Maybe there other packs are good but I definately don't like the Alaskan model.
I bought mine last spring, used it for scouting and then hunting season, probably won't use it again. will sit in my garage as an emergency spare.
The next one I find will be a one piece and light weight, minus all the straps. I won't need all the pockets and cubby holes, reason is, that I wear GPS/camera(same pouch), knife on my belt. The range finder is in my vest, calls on my neck. I never need "quick" access to anything in my pack and the things I go to somewhat regularily like maps and food I place up on top.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

If the pack doesn't fit, it doesn't matter what brand it is.
When you strap the pack to your hips, adjust the torso, and the lifters are below your shoulders, they are useless for removing weight from the shoulders. All they will do at that point is keep the pack close to your back. If you loosen the shoulder straps to get the weight off, the pack drops away from the top of your back.

The BL 2200 and 4500 have no torso adj. but their lifters are high enough they will work for most people.

The Blacks Creek, Eberlestock, and MR Crew Cab have torso adjustment but the lifters are so low they are essentially useless when you lengthen the torso adjustment to the longer settings. If you like weight on your shoulders it's not a problem.

i have a Western and i friggin love the thing. They make a great product, in my opinion.

I have the Alaskan as well. Not a bad pack, but there is definitely something up with the zippers on these packs. Mine are broke and I have already tried their suggested fix. I need to send it in to them and have them replace it.

The crazy thing is, I was on a road trip just the other day and I happen to go into a sporting goods store in a small town. There was a guy that was picking up 2 Alaskan packs, as the store had to send both of them in to get fixed for zipper problems just like I am seeing.....Eberlestock Gunslinger here I come!!

>I have the Alaskan and it
>$uc&$! Not worth the money,
>only myself to blame for
>buying it, should have done
>more research.
>Too many straps and the zipper
>is about as good as
>8 year old mono fishing
>line.
>I thought the idea behind it
>was great while trying it
>on in the store and