Blacktail success

Ridn9high

I made it out to Cali to visit family and friends and decided I was going to do a little blacktail hunting. I flew in SF on Friday night and we headed up to the property around 10am on Saturday morning. After getting situated in the ranch house, I made my way out for some evening scouting. I left the gun at the house as I didn't want to end the hunt on the first evening. I spotted many nice forks, a few smaller 3x3's and one really nice buck. It was almost dark when I saw the nice buck, but I didn't get a good look at him.

Sunday morning I went back to where I had seen the good buck. I stayed in the area for about 30 minutes without seeing him. As I made my way down the road, I spotted the buck pushing some does around. He was wide, tall, had decent mass but was only a 3x3. His front forks weren't that big. I decided to pass on him and look for something better. The next couple hours brought many bucks in the binoculars. Lots of heavy, wide forky's and some nice 3x3's, but just nothing I wanted to hang a tag on.

So I picked up the rattling horns and headed into the thick stuff, hoping to pull a buck from his bed. The first spot I started to rattle produced a nice forky. He came in at 10 years. After a 5 minute stare down, he went on his way. The 2nd spot didn't produce. I walked another 200 yards and sat down again. I started to rattle and instantly a nice 2x3 came out of some thick brush. He was ready for a fight and looking in my direction. He caught my movement and high tailed it out of there.

It was getting late in the morning and I was wanting to head back to the house to get some food. As I walking back to the truck, a doe appeared in an opening. I sat down and watched her, as every doe I had seen had a buck close by them. This time was no different. The buck came out in the opening and I knew right away he was a shooter. I pulled up the 243 and put a shot right through his front shoulder. The buck ran 50 yards and piled up.

Here is a photo of the buck. The buck is a 3x4, has a 20" inside spread and 18" tall. The buck was killed only a couple miles outside the "B&C blacktail boundry" He gross scores 149-1/8 and net scores 138-6/8.

blacktail_zps6915545a.jpg

That's a Dandy!!! Congrats!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Very nice buck! Sorry you had to hunt all morning to find him though. Worth the sacrifice!:) J/K!!

Eel

Thanks everyone! It was a fun hunt! I was lucky to be in the right place at the right time.

Here is a picture just after I walked up to the buck
1_zpsdbe3b9ec.jpg

Sunday evening my cousin came back through from Tahoe and we set out to find him a good buck! That evening we saw a lot of deer just nothing he wanted to hang a tag on. He hasn't killed a buck on the ranch in 3 years. Still looking for a wall hanger!

We decided to stay another night as the weather was supposed to get colder and a chance of rain was in the forecast. Monday morning brought colder temps and overcast skies! We came across 12 bucks during the morning hunt. A couple nice heavy 3x3's, one big 2x3 and some big forky's. Also a small forky's and a dink 3x3. If we saw a doe or group of does, we would wait and watch. There was always a buck close by. Nothing hit the dirt that morning.

We agreed on hunting that evening and then heading back home. The evening wasn't as good as the morning hunt, but we saw some new bucks that neither of us saw the previous days. Still nothing he was wanting to shoot. Before leaving that night, I set up a trail camera I had brought with me, to show them the advantages of using one. Afterwards, we loaded up the truck and headed to the house.

Tuesday was spent cutting and packaging the buck so I could get it on the plane when I left. My cousins decided they wanted to head up Thursday night after work and hunt Friday through Sunday. Quite a bit of family was heading up to the ranch for the weekend so I decided to end the last couple days in Cali at the property.

Friday morning was slow. The warm weather had stopped most of the rutting activity and we only saw 3 little bucks. After the morning hunt we grabbed the trail camera to see what was on it. Here is what we found....

b1_zps794b2ae1.jpg

b3_zps726be670.jpg

b_zps31ce668e.jpg

Friday evening was the same as the morning hunt with not much moving.

Friday night was spent sharing stories around the fire pit with all the family and a couple friends that came up. With 4 guys going out on Saturday to fill tags, we divided the property before bed time.

Saturday morning was again slow for my cousin and I. We spent the morning slow walking the thickest stuff we could find in the area we hunted. I rattled in 4 different times that morning and nothing came in to investigate. Around 10am we called it a morning and headed back to eat breakfast. When returning, we saw our grandpa skinning his very first buck. It was a heavy, 20" 2x3

2_zpsb5242f58.jpg

4_zps01f6d465.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom