BLM boundry vs. actual Fence boundry input

bcoufal

I would like to see other hunter's opinions an experience with actual BLM boundaries from maps and GPS vs. a landowners boundary fence.

Last year I hunted a great piece of BLM that had a substantial amount of Elk. This pocket was right off the main roads and easy access and easy terrain. This section is surrounded by private on three sides. Once I started into the area the first day I noticed that the fence seemed to be +/- 400 yds into the BLM. To be on the safe side I hunted the area on my side and didn't not cross the fences on the other three sides. I ran into several groups of cows and bulls that first day and for the next several days.

Since then I have reviewed all current maps, GPS maps with BLM and private property and all seem to show the blm going well past the fences. I made the inquiry with the BLM and to no surprise no one seemed to be able to give a correct answer of which was correct. I forgot to mention neither fence is posted but there are no fence lines visible past the one on BLM that go into the open in a few areas.

To make matters more interesting the two ranches around the blm are leased out to two different outfitters. Thus the second reason I stayed on my side of the fence to avoid conflict.

I'm just curious what right we have as hunters to use BLM lands when ranch grazing fences are off.

I really like the area as a back up and a place I can take my wife and my dad for a good hunt.

Any thoughts would be great

You very well may be right, but you might have to prove it in court

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Are you sure the fence is a boundary fence and not a range fence? Where I hunt on USFS, there are a good number of fences, many of which are not boundary fences. I go by what my GPS mapping program says as to what is private and public.

go by the GPS, if they want to push the issue have them call out a DOW officer and show him the GPS, he will likely have his own to compare and will tell the guy lieing to pack his s##t.
Hopefully it isn't you ;)

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

You could also see if the local warden would go to the area with you with a GPS and find the actual border.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

You have to be careful as the gps maps are not always 100% accurate. Where I hunt it does not show a chunk of private that is nearly 400 acres in total.

On the flip side my gps has also allowed me to find several places where land was mismarked for years. The result has been more property.

2 years ago my buddy had 3 family's members draw nit 10. They scouted used the maps etc. they ended up finding a huge area the outfitter marked as private that was I fact public. They entered and hunted and sure enough the outfitter turned them in. When my buddy produced his Gos with tracking. The officer went looked at the signs took photos and tore down the signs and left to write the outfitter a citation.

Best option is to find a section marker should be one at one of the corners of the property if your lucky and get the township and range etc then compare the 2....

I know there is a piece of BLM and state land in northern Colo where the boundary is not the fence. This was per the warden for that particular area. As TxHunter said, call the warden and get him to meet you to get the answer that counts.

I found a area with the same situation. I had DOW come out he looked at the map at the fence and said just go by the fence! The map clearly showed the fence was 400 yards onto BLM property. Twice I saw trophy bucks just over that fence.

>Are you sure the fence is
>a boundary fence and not
>a range fence? Where I
>hunt on USFS, there are
>a good number of fences,
>many of which are not
>boundary fences. I go by
>what my GPS mapping program
>says as to what is
>private and public.

Agreed. I know there are fences on public lands, both BLM and NF put there by ranchers who have grazing rights. It's very common, just ignore them and go by your GPS.

I have had several conversations with law enforcement, county and DOW. All state they go by the gps with a LO chip as the accuracy is there. I'd hunt the ground in question but have a tracking turned on in the gps just in case someone questions you.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."

Be careful. In the area I hunt there are several pieces that have been traded by the BLM but still show as public on the gps, blm and fs maps. Check with the county. Whoever is paying taxes on it owns it.

The mountains, not the hills.

A few years ago I hunted out of steamboat springs and found a public area that was clearly posted illegally, I went to the forest service office to complain and ask them to correct the situation and she rudely told me they didn't have time to correct all the misposted areas and to stay off that land and use the regular trail that everyone else uses, same thing in Pagosa Springs, the boundary sign is actually facing the wrong way and forest service and fish and game have been aware of it for years but refuse to correct the sign or adequately post the public land, they have time enough to post no stopping along the road and to create designated parking areas and write tickets but when I asked where the actual boundaries were they both said they weren't sure and couldn't afford to have it surveyed.

Thanks for everyone input. It seems like a mixed bag of experiences. I plan on doing some more calls with BLM and DOW and the county before and if I need to cross.

In the end I'd prefer to work with the outfitter and Landowner and not upset them just in case I have to retrieve game from their actual property at some point.

B

>Thanks for everyone input. It
>seems like a mixed bag
>of experiences. I plan
> on doing some more
>calls with BLM and DOW
>and the county before and
>if I need to cross.
>
>
>In the end I'd prefer to
>work with the outfitter and
>Landowner and not upset them
>just in case I have
>to retrieve game from their
>actual property at some point.
>
>
>B

Sure, there's a very slim possibility the GPS could be wrong and some landowners or outfitters illegally post public land, but the original question and point of this thread is whether fences are always boundries. There is no difference of opinion or discrepancy here. They absolutely tell you nothing of property ownership. On public lands, they simply separate grazing leases. If there are posted signs and your GPS doesn't agree, yeah, ask someone. But, if there are no signs, go with the GPS.

I guess I have a little different take on this. If you have found a honey-hole as you describe, why draw attention to yourself and the location by bickering over an extra 400 yards. Sure, you may have all the legal right in the world to hunt the area on the other side of the fence, but there is nothing like having to argue with landowner and law enforcement to spoil a hunt. I sure wouldn't bring that upon myself just to prove a point when there is already great hunting on this side of the fence. If you are seeing all the elk you describe on the remainder of the property, hunt that and keep your peace of mind.

Those are my thoughts.

Mark
muledeer.jpg

My hunting spot is so secret, not even the elk have found it yet.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom